Former Kansas City man Kei Kamara captaining Middlesbrough, still supporting the Sporting Park bunch
Nov 11, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
Thanks to social media, and because the man is a relentless Twitter hound, we know a couple of things about former Sporting Kansas City lineup fixture Kei Kamara:
First, he has not forgotten about his former teammates around Sporting Park. Kamara is clearly still a Sporting man at heart, judging by his Tweeting throughout the MLS playoffs. Never mind that most of MLS playoff contests are going off in the wee small hours in England, where Kamara is front and center in the Middlesbrough playing order.
In fact, Kamara told myself and Soccer Today co-host Marc Stein on Sunday that he recently paid a big fine for being late to practice. Reason: he was up late watching Sporting KC! (Listen to Kamara talk about his life in England here.)
Here’s the other thing we know about Kamara (pictured above, on the right), who spent the bulk of eight MLS seasons in Kansas City before taking his career abroad: things are going so well, he is now captaining Middlesbrough.
Kamara’s first afternoon with the captain’s armband ended well enough, as “Boro” hit a stoppage time equalizer to salvage a 2-2 draw at home with Watford. Interim manager Mark Venus talked about earning the point here.
Kamara and Middlesbrough sit 16th among 24 teams after 15 rounds of action in England’s second tier.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 2
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 5
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 5