Nov 11, 2013, 2:05 PM EDT
This is pretty interesting stuff.
Over at Business of Soccer, the guys have been busy finding out exactly which MLS player has provided the best value for money over the 2013 regular season.
And the winner is… Seattle Sounders attacker Lamar Neagle. Are we surprised?
What these clever clogs did was take the Castrol Index used by Major League Soccer to measure a players meaningful movements and contributions in every game and put it up against their salary released by the MLS Players Union.
That then comes out with which players scored the most points per dollar that he is paid, and Neagle came out on top with every point he tallied on the Castrol Index costing $71.
“But Joe, what about the big name players?” I hear you cry…
Well, according to this ranking the league’s Designated Players are way down the list in value for money, for example every point Thierry Henry has on the Castrol Index costs $6,388.
Some of the other players with the best value in MLS are New York Red Bulls ‘keeper Luis Robles and New England duo of Jose Goncalves and Diego Fagundez.
No matter how big an emphasis you put on numbers in sport, you have to admit this kind of research and analysis is making waves in the soccer world. The guys over at Business of Soccer could be on to something here.
I spent plenty of time with Sports data company Opta last month and they are the people behind the Castrol Index, along with MLS, to try and get the most accurate readings of the most efficient players across the league.
So many numbers, but so worthwhile if you can use them correctly.
- Premier League Playback: Looking back at a memorable 2014-15 season 0
- Didier Drogba open to Major League Soccer move after leaving Chelsea 1
- Real Madrid president asked what’s wrong with Carlo Ancelotti: “I don’t know” 1
- In a career full of blunders, firing Carlo Ancelotti is Florentino Perez’s worst mistake yet 6
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: The managers 0
- Florentino Perez announces firing of Carlo Ancelotti by Real Madrid 0