Nov 11, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
Some very solid work by American soccer writer Brian Straus this morning detailing confusion – and how it came about – concerning future U.S. Open Cup winners and their deserved CONCACAF Champions League berths.
Word spread on Sunday that beginning with the 2014-15 competition – that is, for the next full competition, the one set to begin this coming summer, but not the one where quarterfinals are coming up in February – U.S. Open Cup winners would not gain a berth into the regional club tournament.
Only, that wasn’t true.
Essentially, we had a case of CONCACAF foot dragging on some proposed rules changes, which then got tangled up with some bad interpretation, with all of it getting cooked up to good steam of blogging and social media consternation and misinformation.
In previous years, domestic soccer’s four CCL (CONCACAF Champions League) spots have gone to: 1) MLS Cup champion 2) MLS Cup runner-up 3) MLS Supporters Shield winner and 4) U.S. Open Cup winner.
Reports circulated that the U.S. Open Cup winner would no longer receive its berth. U.S. Soccer strongly refuted that via social media on Sunday.
Straus’ story has more. But the bottom line is this: the proposed change involves Major League Soccer’s entries, not the U.S. Open Cup entry.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 1
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League