Nov 11, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
No Clasicos stand to be missed if Leo Messi can recover within the expected time frame, but Barcelona will be without the inimitable attacker for two Champions League match days, if the current timetable of 6-8 weeks recovery is accurate.
While missing nearly two months of any campaign is hardly ideal, Messi’s latest injury in a season increasingly troubled by them is not actually at a fiercely terrible time.
Here is what the sensational Argentine attacker stands to miss while he recovers from an injury diagnosed Monday as a femoral biceps tear of the left leg (Barca’s full schedule is here):
- At least four league matches: Granada, at Athletic Bilbao, Villarreal and at Getafe. All of those clubs are top half in the current La Liga table. So, here is your time to step up, Neymar.
- Both legs of a Copa del Rey round-of-16 series against Cartagena.
- The final two Champions League group stage match days. Barca is in great shape after four match days, sitting on 10 points, double second-place Milan. One point will do over the remaining pair of contests to qualify for next year’s elimination stage, and Barca looks almost certain to go through in the top spot.
The club has a two-week break after La Liga Round 17 (Dec. 22, as Barcelona plays at Getafe). Messi seems certain sit out until January; especially as his club has those two weeks off.
Barca does have a Real Madrid clash set for Jan. 12, so that’s the next big spot on the club’s first-team calendar.
Past that, however, Champions League knockout phase begins Feb. 18, so there’s plenty of time for Messi to get fit and sharp for the club’s latest European bid.
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 0
- Premier, Champions League quotas leave Mourinho desperate to sell Torres 0
- Van Gaal, Manchester United ready to move on from Fellaini, Kagawa 0
- Radamel Falcao on track to return at weekend’s Emirates Cup 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Portland’s Diego Valeri 0
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 6