An American Manager in the Premier League? Could be sooner than you think

Nov 12, 2013, 7:15 AM EST

Tottenham Hotspur's Walker and Friedel celebrate beating Hull City in a penalty shoot out during their English League Cup fourth round soccer match in London Reuters

Many Americans were excited to see Old Man Friedel get the call for Tottenham this weekend, even if it was to spell Hugo Lloris following the head injury he suffered against Everton.

It was Friedel’s 450th Premier League appearance and the 42-year-old marked the occasion with a solid performance even if the lone goal scored on him did prove to be the difference in the game.

Following the match, Friedel spoke about Spurs’ goalscoring woes. “I really do not think that, come the end of the season, our goal tally will be one of the lower ones,” the American said. “It will be right up there. We see the quality in training on a daily basis and it is not a lack of confidence or anything of that nature.”

Words spoken like a true leader, one with an even-keeled perspective and long-term outlook. In fact, while watching the former U.S. international between the sticks, I couldn’t help but think that someday he’ll be managing in the Premier League (he currently holds his UEFA B-level coaching license).

source: ReutersBut will he be the first American to achieve that distinction?

My instincts tell me ‘no’, that another Yank will beat him to it, possibly sooner than many think.

Fulham’s poor run of results have raised flags over the future of Martin Jol and it seems only a matter of time before he’s cut loose.

If the stars align, that moment could correspond with the impending departure of Bob Bradley from the Egyptian National Team following their second-leg playoff with Ghana.

Sure would be a heck of a way for Fulham’s new American owner Shahid Khan to make a splash.

1. mvktr2 - Nov 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

1-it would make Sat. AM EPL viewing must watch TV for me again.
    2-I’d love to see it!
    3-would the Fulham fans embrace BB or see it as the new American owner showing favoritism?

2. midtec2005 - Nov 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I think BB is the right type of manager for Fulham. They need a well organized, pragmatic style of play because their talent isn’t on par with a lot of other clubs.

3. hildezero - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM

@mvktr2,

For 3: I think both, but Fulham fans are very passionate about their club so I think they’ll take anything of what they can get.

4. twayward - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Not even a sliver of a chance. No way Bob Bradley is appointed Fulham manager after Big Martin Jol.

No one is appointing a Yank in 2013/14. Right or wrong, no one is appointing a Yank.

How is the first American going to manage a Premier League side? He’ll probably have to get a job as manager of a club in the third tier of English football, build a successful program and get your club promoted to the Prem.

• joeyt360 - Nov 12, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Actually, I could see a Yank at Fulham. . . but it would probably have to be McBride.

5. talgrath - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Let’s not assume that Bradley is out of Egypt just yet. Bradley has lead the Pharaohs to their best qualifying campaign in recent history while the country was in the midst of rioting and upheaval. I think Bradley will be around for at least one more cycle of Egyptian qualifying, if he wants it. Personally, I’d put my money on Jason Kreis, if he inks that NYCFC deal and does well.

6. talgrath - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Let’s not start saying Bob Bradley is out of a job yet, he coached the Pharaohs to their best qualifying performance in decades if not of all time while Egypt was wracked by riots and upheaval. I think Bradley retains his job for at least the next cycle, if he wants it. My money would be on Jason Kreis as the first American EPL coach, if he takes the job with NYCFC and does well.

Week 12: PL Saturday recap