Nov 13, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Take this with a lick of salt: the Mirror isn’t exactly known for having a discerning filter when it comes to transfer rumors. In fact, today’s report on Seattle’s Clint Dempsey could be filed under “stating the obvious,” but with the Sounders out of Major League Soccer’s playoffs, this discussion’s inevitable. The U.S. captain is going out on loan. The only question is where.
The British tabloid lists the four most-obvious links, whether they make sense or not:
- Tottenham Hotspur – Dempsey’s last team who the Mirror claim “have first option to bring him back to the Premier League,” but with Spurs already unable to find time for Erik Lamela, adding Clint Dempsey to a team having trouble gelling seems unlikely.
- Fulham – Bad team looking to add the type of player who can help keep them in the Premier League (even if he’d only be there for two months)? This makes sense for all involved. If Martin Jol‘s still around come January, you’d have to think he’d love to a chance to rekindle Clint’s Cottager form.
- Everton – Dempsey playing in Roberto Martínez‘s set up? I’m not saying he can’t do it, but I am wondering whether the Toffees boss would see him as an ideal acquisition. This link feels more like a tabloid connecting the dots between Tim Howard, Landon Donovan, and another potential American acquisition.
- Aston Villa – Another U.S.-loving team, right? That may be the logic here, though adding Dempsey couldn’t hurt. The question from Dempsey’s point of view: Where would he play on a team that has a good thing going when Christian Benteke, Gabriel Agbonlahor, and Andreas Wiemann are all healthy. Remember: The point of this loan is to play.
Dempsey is almost certainly going on loan (his contract allows him to do so this offseason), but given World Cup preparation is the point to this whole exercise, fit will be important. Fulham, a club very familiar to Dempsey, makes the most sense. The rest of the teams on this list? The links seem superficial.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1