Nov 13, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Take this with a lick of salt: the Mirror isn’t exactly known for having a discerning filter when it comes to transfer rumors. In fact, today’s report on Seattle’s Clint Dempsey could be filed under “stating the obvious,” but with the Sounders out of Major League Soccer’s playoffs, this discussion’s inevitable. The U.S. captain is going out on loan. The only question is where.
The British tabloid lists the four most-obvious links, whether they make sense or not:
- Tottenham Hotspur – Dempsey’s last team who the Mirror claim “have first option to bring him back to the Premier League,” but with Spurs already unable to find time for Erik Lamela, adding Clint Dempsey to a team having trouble gelling seems unlikely.
- Fulham – Bad team looking to add the type of player who can help keep them in the Premier League (even if he’d only be there for two months)? This makes sense for all involved. If Martin Jol‘s still around come January, you’d have to think he’d love to a chance to rekindle Clint’s Cottager form.
- Everton – Dempsey playing in Roberto Martínez‘s set up? I’m not saying he can’t do it, but I am wondering whether the Toffees boss would see him as an ideal acquisition. This link feels more like a tabloid connecting the dots between Tim Howard, Landon Donovan, and another potential American acquisition.
- Aston Villa – Another U.S.-loving team, right? That may be the logic here, though adding Dempsey couldn’t hurt. The question from Dempsey’s point of view: Where would he play on a team that has a good thing going when Christian Benteke, Gabriel Agbonlahor, and Andreas Wiemann are all healthy. Remember: The point of this loan is to play.
Dempsey is almost certainly going on loan (his contract allows him to do so this offseason), but given World Cup preparation is the point to this whole exercise, fit will be important. Fulham, a club very familiar to Dempsey, makes the most sense. The rest of the teams on this list? The links seem superficial.
May 28, 2015, 12:53 AM EDT
Juninho’s early PK is all the Galaxy need, as they climb to 4th in the Western Conference. RSL, meanwhile, are on the outside looking in.
May 28, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
17 MLS teams will entire this year’s US Open Cup in the 4th round. On Wednesday, they learned who they’ll face.
May 28, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Wins in May don’t get much more “must-win” than this one. PDX tops the East’s top team.
May 27, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
According to his agent, Balotelli is going nowhere this summer. He’ll stay and fight for his place next season.
May 27, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
11 current and former officials from around the world have been provisionally banned from all football-related activities.
May 27, 2015, 5:23 PM EDT
Rog and Davo relive the Premier League’s season finale, including squeaky bum time at the bottom of the table.
May 27, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
It was a thrilling Europa League final. Sevilla are back-to-back Europa League champions, and into next year’s Champions League.
May 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
Sergio Aguero was the Premier League’s top goalscorer this season, but was he the best attacker in the league? He has plenty of competition.
May 27, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
After leading the Black Cats to Premier League safety, “The Little General” has announced he won’t return to the Stadium of Light next season.
May 27, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Goal scorers, goal creators, ball winners, possession destroyers — the list of top-10 midfielders has a little bit of everything.
May 27, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT
“Today’s events are a disaster for FIFA and tarnish the image of football as a whole. “
May 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
The most controversial figure in world soccer has broken his silence.
May 27, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
If Aston Villa wants any shot at beating Arsenal in the FA Cup final this Saturday, Christian Benteke must come up big.
May 27, 2015, 1:06 PM EDT
“This really is the World Cup of fraud, and today we are issuing FIFA a red card.”
May 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
With the Hoops heading down to the Championship, Queens Park Rangers will have a completely new look next season.
May 27, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
They say defense wins championships, so expect to see quite a bit of Chelsea blue on this list.
May 27, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
Atsu spent this season on loan at Everton, and it looks like the Ghanaian will be headed south to the Premier League’s newest club.
May 27, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Sepp Blatter has served as president for 17 years and is expected to easily win reelection.
May 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Let’s take a walk through the six yard box with the Premier League’s 10 best ‘keepers for 2014-15.
May 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
A press conference is scheduled to be held at 10:30 a.m. ET from the U.S. Department of Justice.
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 3
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 5
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 11
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 6
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8