Nov 13, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Take this with a lick of salt: the Mirror isn’t exactly known for having a discerning filter when it comes to transfer rumors. In fact, today’s report on Seattle’s Clint Dempsey could be filed under “stating the obvious,” but with the Sounders out of Major League Soccer’s playoffs, this discussion’s inevitable. The U.S. captain is going out on loan. The only question is where.
The British tabloid lists the four most-obvious links, whether they make sense or not:
- Tottenham Hotspur – Dempsey’s last team who the Mirror claim “have first option to bring him back to the Premier League,” but with Spurs already unable to find time for Erik Lamela, adding Clint Dempsey to a team having trouble gelling seems unlikely.
- Fulham - Bad team looking to add the type of player who can help keep them in the Premier League (even if he’d only be there for two months)? This makes sense for all involved. If Martin Jol‘s still around come January, you’d have to think he’d love to a chance to rekindle Clint’s Cottager form.
- Everton - Dempsey playing in Roberto Martínez‘s set up? I’m not saying he can’t do it, but I am wondering whether the Toffees boss would see him as an ideal acquisition. This link feels more like a tabloid connecting the dots between Tim Howard, Landon Donovan, and another potential American acquisition.
- Aston Villa - Another U.S.-loving team, right? That may be the logic here, though adding Dempsey couldn’t hurt. The question from Dempsey’s point of view: Where would he play on a team that has a good thing going when Christian Benteke, Gabriel Agbonlahor, and Andreas Wiemann are all healthy. Remember: The point of this loan is to play.
Dempsey is almost certainly going on loan (his contract allows him to do so this offseason), but given World Cup preparation is the point to this whole exercise, fit will be important. Fulham, a club very familiar to Dempsey, makes the most sense. The rest of the teams on this list? The links seem superficial.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
Mexico’s top two teams reach halftime of their two-legged final, with leg two kickoff next Wednesday in Toluca.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
The top four remain unchanged, while Houston, New England, and Portland make big shifts on this week’s chart.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Thoughts from NBCSN’s analysts as will as footage from Rodgers’, Martínez’s speeches at Anfield.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Three LA Galaxy players join two members of the Columbus Crew in our Best XI.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
Gunners go back into the top four, but can they hold off Everton?
Apr 15, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Four soccer players rank amount the world’s top 25 earners.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Columbus’s Costa Rican international is the latest player to donate to MLS Works.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
The Gunners overcame a Matt Jarvis opener to take their second win of the season from the Irons.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Klopp to take over at White Hart Lane?
Apr 15, 2014, 3:47 PM EDT
Last week’s hat trick couldn’t snare our honor, but two goals in Dallas made the Sounder star this week’s best player.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Can the Clarets join the Foxes in the big time?
Apr 15, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
A story from The Daily Beast deals with many obstacles faced by the girls, including some prevailing belief that they shouldn’t even watch sport, let alone play soccer.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
The Gunners and Hammers are putting some London derby bragging rights on the line this evening at the Emirates Stadium live on NBCSN and online NBC Sports Live Extra
Apr 15, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
West Ham last took a point from Arsenal in an October 2009 draw, and hasn’t beaten the Gunners since an April 7, 2007 win at the Emirates.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
MLSSoccer.com’s “MLS Insider” series brings a strong video on the anniversary of Matt Reis’ heroics at the Boston Marathon bombing.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
His speech was equal parts soccer fan, Merseyside resident and fixture in the game.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Let’s say you’re dating your ex-teammate’s ex-wife and spend a lot of time with his kids. What’s a super scummy idea before your team plays his?
Apr 15, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Former Villa player Gordon Cowans and current back-up keeper Shay Given have been “temporarily promoted.”
Apr 15, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Images from around Twitter, covering the 25th anniversary memorial to those who died in the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Atletico won last year’s edition, with Barca topping the tourney in 2012 and Real claiming the crown in 2011. Who do you have winning the Copa del Rey?
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 6 0
- ProSoccerTalk MLS Team of the Week – Week 6 0
- Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal can finish in the top four 4
- Arsenal 3-1 West Ham United: Podolski double puts Gunners back in the win column (video) 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Clint Dempsey 0
- Promotion Watch: Burnley on the cusp of Premier League return 1