Nov 13, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
USMNT captain Clint Dempsey has picked up a calf injury in training this morning and has been withdrawn from the squad to face Scotland and Austria.
Midfielder Fabian Johnson, suffering from a nagging ankle injury he got with his club, has also been removed from the national team picture for this window.
Neither players will be replaced, according to U.S. Soccer.
It’s definitely not a surprise that either of the players will be removed, as it may have been a bit surprising that they were included in the first place. No MLS players still in action were included and a few on teams just recently eliminated – such as Dempsey’s Seattle Sounders – were also left off.
Johnson’s ankle has given him problems for a month or so now, and he hasn’t started a match with his Bundesliga club Hoffenheim since September 28 when he was injured. He was out of the squad until Saturday when he came on as a halftime substitute.
The injuries make even more room for players looking to become late additions to the World Cup roster.
Aron Johannsson, red-hot with his club AZ Alkmaar, could possibly get a start with Dempsey out. He could play either up front next to Altidore, behind the striker, or out on the wing as a direct replacement for Dempsey. Johnson’s exclusion makes way for the likes of Mix Diskerud or Brek Shea.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear