Zlatan Ibrahimovic dumps hint at MLS possibility in distant future

Nov 13, 2013, 8:42 AM EST

France Soccer League One AP

It’s a longshot at the moment, but Swedish superstar Zlatan Ibrahimovic has said he values his experiences across the globe and could be looking for one in the United States in the future.

The man who has played for six giant clubs in his professional career told the media that while he is loving life at Paris Saint-Germain, he may wish to expand his horizons.

“A future in the United States? I don’t like to make too many plans, but one day, when my contract expires, I would like to play outside Europe, even if I don’t know where.”

While that’s not definitive, the specific inclusion of the US (albeit most likely prompted by a reporter question) is a good hint that he has the MLS high on his list of things to do.

The quote came as an afterthought to most, while the main headline from his interview came when he said PSG is without question the place for him right now.

“In June, I didn’t know if I would stay at PSG, but then I met with president Nasser Al-Khelaifi and he told me that I am the most important player for the PSG project,” the 6-foot-4 Ibrahimovic told Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet. “We are a great team now. Or, rather, we are becoming one because to be a really great team you have to win, not only the championship, as we have already done, but everything. We’re working on it, we’re getting there. Going to Paris a year ago was a risk, but I thought ‘PSG is the future’. Now, I know that I did well.”

Ibrahimovic has made multiple high-profile moves in his career, garnering a label as a hired gun after having plied his trade for all three major Italian clubs as well as a stint at Barcelona.

Would he make the switch in the United States once he feels his time in Europe is over? It’s certainly a possibility, and Major League Soccer could only benefit from such a fascinating and polarizing character in its ranks.

1. midtec2005 - Nov 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM

NYCFC 2015?

2. sluggo271 - Nov 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM

It has been a life long dream to play in the MLS. The greatest league in the world.

3. tylerbetts - Nov 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Translation: When I’m not longer being paid money by a European team, I’d like to find a team elsewhere that might do so. Could be MLS, could be China. But, hey, I just hope someone SHOWS ME THE MONEY.

Now, to borrow/steal from Steve Davis … The U.S. soccer establishment really should get past its fascination with all aging European Stars. It’s not news if someone might be willing to come to MLS if they feel they can no longer play in Europe. It’ll be news when top players, in their prime, want to come to MLS. We’re not there yet, but we can get there.

• midtec2005 - Nov 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I agree, we aren’t that far away though. Tim Cahill and Robby Keane for example aren’t too old yet (or at least when they signed), but they also aren’t top top stars like Ibrahimovic.

• pecorasc - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

“We’re not there yet, but we can get there.”

Several years ago, you would have gotten a bunch of thumbs down for that comment. Its starting to creep into people minds that this league can become what MLS brass claims it can be. Not yet, but we’re on the move.

4. geo91 - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Go to the EPL you beautiful beast

5. footballer4ever - Nov 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

KEYWORD: Distant.

6. bruiserbrigade - Nov 15, 2013 at 7:13 AM

No world class player will step foot in MLS, at least certainly not in their prime.

JPW's top five PL moments of 2014