Robbie Keane agrees to contract extension with LA Galaxy

Nov 14, 2013, 7:40 AM EDT

Keane

Republic of Ireland striker Robbie Keane has agreed to a new deal with the LA Galaxy that could see him stay in Major League Soccer for up to three more years.

Keane confirmed the extension to Sky Sports following his side’s departure from MLS playoffs following their two-legged loss to Real Salt Lake.

“I’ve just verbally agreed a two-year contract, maybe extending to three,” Keane explained.

“I’m certainly excited about that and playing for the Galaxy in the future. I didn’t think I was going to go there and then come back to the Premier League, but I’m enjoying my football there and the club has been very good to me.”

Keane moved to LA from Tottenham in 2011 and after scoring two goals in four matches, returned to England in January for a short-term loan spell with Aston Villa. His decision to return to the Premier League so soon after leaving raised flags for some Galaxy supporters, who questioned his commitment to MLS.

But Keane proved his doubters wrong, putting up an impressive 16 goals and 9 assists in 28 games and earning himself a spot on the 2012 MLS Best XI. Then last January, with one year remaining on his contract, Keane re-up’d with the Galaxy for two more years.

And now, after another sensational season where he scored 16 goals and notched 11 assists in 23 matches, it’s déjà vu for the Irishman, signing a new deal that could keep him in a Galaxy uniform through age 36.

“As soon as you hit that 30 age mark in football, people are reluctant to give you contracts but this will be the third contract I’ve signed since I’ve been there and it shows the faith they have in me.”

Keane paid homage to the strength of MLS, noting the added strain designated players feel to perform. “Since I’ve been there, it’s been a strong league. It’s a tough league because of the structure that works there with everyone competing at roughly the same level. Every team can beat every other, so it’s very competitive.

“When people come over to play in it, I always tell them, ‘don’t think you’re coming over for a holiday’. There’s a lot of pressure on the three designated players [each team can sign three players outside of the league's salary cap] as people are expecting you to deliver all the time.”

Despite Keane’s getting up there in years, this seems a decent deal for the Galaxy. Keane takes care of himself and is still able to beast opponents on a consistent basis. His increase in years also means he’s likely to say focused on MLS and won’t potentially spread himself thin by seeking winter loan deals in Europe.

Instead, Keane is looking to put himself in line to coach and is looking forward to earning his badges. “I’ve still got a good few years left in me,”  he said. “But I’m looking to do my coaching badges in January in Ireland. It’s something I’m passionate about and need to get into if I want to stay in the game.”

Latest Posts
  1. Southampton’s replacement for Luke Shaw: Ryan Bertand, on loan

Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 3.46.35 PM

24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.

2. Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl

Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-30 at 4.26.41 PM

Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.

3. Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández

Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Chicharito Getty Images

Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.

4. Nick De Santis no longer sporting director in Montréal

Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT

500px-Montreal_Impact_(MLS)_logo

Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.

5. Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton

Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

MartinezLukaku Getty Images

Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.

6. NWSL implements cooling break procedure

Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT

NWSL logo

With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.

7. VIDEO: Liverpool fan from New Jersey cries, loses the plot, after meeting Gerrard

Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT

Liverpool fan

Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.

8. Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio

Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT

Brazil Soccer WCup Belgium US AP

Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.

9. Philadelphia Union sign Algerian World Cup star Rais Mbolhi

Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

Germany v Algeria: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.

10. FIFA’s senior vice-president Julio Grondona dies, Argentina mourns

Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT

FBL-WC2014-QUALIFIERS-ARG-VEN Getty Images

One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.

11. Premier League will use vanishing spray for 2014-15 season

Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT

Morocco Soccer Club World Cup AP

After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.

12. Manchester United’s Luke Shaw agrees he’s not fit enough after Louis van Gaal criticism

Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT

Luke Shaw Andrea Ranocchia AP

Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”

13. PHOTOS: Scantily clad Cristiano Ronaldo poses for record-breaking magazine cover

Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT

ronaldo cover final

Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.

14. VIDEO: Manchester United dominate Inter, win on penalties in Washington D.C.

Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT

International Champions Cup 2014 - Inter Milan v Manchester United Getty Images

United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.

15. Manchester United reach “verbal agreement” on $80 million Arturo Vidal deal

Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Arturo Vidal AP

Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?

16. Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton

Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT

Colombia v Uruguay: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.

17. Yaya Toure confirms he will stay at Manchester City

Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 AM EDT

Cardiff City v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

Toure: “My decision is that I will stay at Manchester City for as long as possible.”

18. Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak

Jul 30, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT

Steven Gerrard believes Liverpool will prove themselves champions come next season. Getty Images

After losing the PL title late in the season, then England being knocked out of the World Cup, can Gerrard bounce back?

19. Edin Dzeko in talks with Manchester City over new contract

Jul 29, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT

Edin Dzeko

“I can only say that I’m very happy at City and at the moment we are talking about a contract,” Dzeko said.