Robbie Keane agrees to contract extension with LA Galaxy

Nov 14, 2013, 7:40 AM EST

Keane

Republic of Ireland striker Robbie Keane has agreed to a new deal with the LA Galaxy that could see him stay in Major League Soccer for up to three more years.

Keane confirmed the extension to Sky Sports following his side’s departure from MLS playoffs following their two-legged loss to Real Salt Lake.

“I’ve just verbally agreed a two-year contract, maybe extending to three,” Keane explained.

“I’m certainly excited about that and playing for the Galaxy in the future. I didn’t think I was going to go there and then come back to the Premier League, but I’m enjoying my football there and the club has been very good to me.”

Keane moved to LA from Tottenham in 2011 and after scoring two goals in four matches, returned to England in January for a short-term loan spell with Aston Villa. His decision to return to the Premier League so soon after leaving raised flags for some Galaxy supporters, who questioned his commitment to MLS.

But Keane proved his doubters wrong, putting up an impressive 16 goals and 9 assists in 28 games and earning himself a spot on the 2012 MLS Best XI. Then last January, with one year remaining on his contract, Keane re-up’d with the Galaxy for two more years.

And now, after another sensational season where he scored 16 goals and notched 11 assists in 23 matches, it’s déjà vu for the Irishman, signing a new deal that could keep him in a Galaxy uniform through age 36.

“As soon as you hit that 30 age mark in football, people are reluctant to give you contracts but this will be the third contract I’ve signed since I’ve been there and it shows the faith they have in me.”

Keane paid homage to the strength of MLS, noting the added strain designated players feel to perform. “Since I’ve been there, it’s been a strong league. It’s a tough league because of the structure that works there with everyone competing at roughly the same level. Every team can beat every other, so it’s very competitive.

“When people come over to play in it, I always tell them, ‘don’t think you’re coming over for a holiday’. There’s a lot of pressure on the three designated players [each team can sign three players outside of the league’s salary cap] as people are expecting you to deliver all the time.”

Despite Keane’s getting up there in years, this seems a decent deal for the Galaxy. Keane takes care of himself and is still able to beast opponents on a consistent basis. His increase in years also means he’s likely to say focused on MLS and won’t potentially spread himself thin by seeking winter loan deals in Europe.

Instead, Keane is looking to put himself in line to coach and is looking forward to earning his badges. “I’ve still got a good few years left in me,”  he said. “But I’m looking to do my coaching badges in January in Ireland. It’s something I’m passionate about and need to get into if I want to stay in the game.”

Latest Posts
  1. New England Revolution, 90 minutes from MLS Cup, must simply avoid second-leg disaster vs. Red Bulls

Nov 27, 2014, 11:15 PM EST

Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies

It’s been a long time since the New England Revolution lost by mulitple goals, which the New York Red Bulls must achieve to reach MLS Cup 2014.

2. Europa League roundup: Spurs, Celtic advance; Inter Milan, Fiorentina clinch top spots

Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

The big Europa League sides have begun to advance to the knockout round, with a few more very close to joining them.

3. Everton win Europa League group, qualify for knockout round

Nov 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EST

Toffees seal spot in Europa League knockout rounds after terrific away day display.

4. Five investigated, including three FIFA execs, in World Cup corruption probe

Nov 27, 2014, 3:17 PM EST

64th FIFA Congress 64th FIFA Congress

Three FIFA ExCo members and German legend latest to be under the spotlight.

5. Pele moved to “special care” unit as treatment continues

Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pele AP

Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.

6. English FA charge Dave Whelan after anti-Semitic, racist comments

Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

Barnsley v Wigan Athletic - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.

7. VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League

Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST

Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?

8. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

9. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

10. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

11. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

12. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

13. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

14. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

15. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

16. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday