Nov 16, 2013, 3:56 PM EDT
Leo Messi’s injury misfortune is also a real downer for St Louis soccer community, which misses out this week on its chance to see the world’s most gifted soccer player — almost certainly one off the all-time bests.
Messi was set to join Argentina on Monday in St. Louis for a match that looked like the latest in a series of highly successful exhibitions in the city in 2013. Only now, the star power of this one is diminished measurably due to Messi’s absence.
He was set to appear as Argentina faced Bosnia & Herzegovina at Busch Stadium. But earlier this week, the peerless striker was ruled out for six weeks due to an ankle injury suffered while playing for Barcelona FC. That mostly affects Barcelona and not Messi’s homeland; Argentina was already safely qualified for the World Cup and won’t be impacted in any meaningful way, since he is due back on the in January.
It won’t be meaningful, that is, unless you consider missing an exhibition in the American Midwest against a European middleweight as ‘meaningful.’ And, I suppose, if you are the promoter of a certain match in the American Midwest. In that case, it’s probably fairly meaningful.
Argentina, one of the world’s top nations will hardly be short on talent. Angel Di Maria, Sergio Aguero, Javier Mascherano and Gonzalo Higuain have been named to the roster. Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko tops the Bosnian roster.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England