Nov 16, 2013, 7:45 AM EST
Real Madrid and Germany midfielder Sami Khedira may face up to six months on the sidelines thanks to an injury picked up in Germany’s friendly with Italy on Friday evening. That long absence could mean Khedira misses out on the chance to represent his country in Brazil 2014.
A collision with azzurri midfielder Andrea Pirlo, midway through the second half, left Khedira clutching his knee in pain. The German was taken to the hospital, where scans revealed a tear in his anterior cruciate ligament. The German Football Association has confirmed the ACL tear, and team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt stated that Khedira will need to undergo surgery. The doctor did state, however, that he hopes the midfielder will be healthy again for the start of the World Cup.
Khedira moved to Real Madrid in 2010, and has since had 89 appearances with the Spanish giants. He’s become a regular in the squad this season, appearing in 11 out of 13 of Real’s league matches and starting in all four Champions League games. Khedira is also a fixture in the German national side, with 44 caps and four goals for his country.Germany coach Joachim Löw concedes that Khedira’s injury and upcoming surgery are indeed a blow for the national team, but he remains hopeful that the midfielder will be part of the squad heading to Brazil: “[Khedira] is a great player on and off the pitch, he is always thinking positively and this will help and I am optimistic that he will be back in time for the kick-off of the World Cup. We wish him all the best and keep our fingers crossed that the surgery goes well and he can quickly get into rehab.”
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23 0
- Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots 1
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 3