Nov 16, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Among the list of reasons (stated or unstated) that Fredy Montero went on loan to Sporting Lisbon last summer was so that the Colombian would have a greater chance of getting to the 2014 World Cup. At 26, Montero still has time to get himself in line for Russia 2018, but it seems the chances of reaching Brazil might not be completely out of reach.
Over the last couple days, stories have been appearing in Portuguese media about Colombia national team coach José Pékerman not having ruled out Montero joining the side in Brazil. Speaking after his side’s victory over Belgium on Thursday, Pékerman alluded to following the former Seattle man’s performances. The coach said that Montero has been doing very well in Portugal, and the Colombian coaching team would continue to follow his progress.
In fact, Montero has flourished since joining up with Sporting. He scored a hat-trick on his debut, endeared himself to his new club’s supporters with a goal against rivals Benfica, and has now scored 12 goals in 11 games in Portugal. Montero’s even made the list of players competing for Europe’s Golden Boot.
Yes, there might be stiff competition for a spot on Colombia’s national team — after all, this is a side that boasts Jackson Martínez and Radamel Falcao up front — but Montero’s performances are deserving of at least a chance with los cafeteros.
There’s just one more thing. With Obafemi Martins also likely to be keen on joining up with his national side, now that Nigeria have qualified for the World Cup, could the Sounders see another of their stars head off on loan? Or lose one altogether?
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Home advantage for heavyweights – Week 4 1
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal 0
- Kevin de Bruyne deal moves closer after “astonishing” offer to join Manchester City 0
- CONCACAF aims for 50-50 crowd split for USA vs. Mexico clash at Rose Bowl 8
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2