Nov 17, 2013, 7:44 AM EDT
It would seem sledging the England national team is becoming a popular tactic during this international break.
First, Chilean Alexis Sanchez was quoted with saying England players were soft, although reportedly that story was fabricated by the media.
Real or not, someone decided to hit out at the team and now the Germans are following suit ahead of their friendly on Tuesday.
“Would Rooney get a game in the German team? It’s difficult,” said Schurrle “Rooney is a great player. But we have good quality, too, in every position, and maybe twice, so I don’t know if he would play.”
It’s actually not a completely ridiculous claim, considering the 23-year-old already has to compete with likes of Mesut Ozil, Marco Reus, Thomas Muller, Miroslav Klose, and Mario Gotze in the attacking front.
Former German superstar Michael Ballack went a step further, noting that he believes the England lags behind Germany in competitiveness.
“I don’t see England as being the same level as teams like Germany or Spain. They’re a bit behind,” the 37-year-old former Germany striker told BBC Radio 5 Live.
Ballack said whenever these two teams face off, it’s not exactly “friendly” like the official title of the upcoming match.
“This is not a real friendly game. England are playing Germany and it’s always a big rivalry.”
Unfortunately, it wouldn’t seem that German boss Joachim Low would agree with Ballack, as he confirmed he will rest the trio of Mesut Ozil, Philipp Lahm, and Manuel Neuer for the match.
- Omar Gonzalez still dreams of Europe but “committed to the Galaxy” 0
- EXCLUSIVE: Luke Shaw speaks out about Manchester United move 1
- Pep Guardiola praises Jurgen Klinsmann’s team concept, USMNT movement 1
- Premier League teams on US Soil: Tuesday’s roundup and look ahead 4
- Racial incident against Man City’s Fofana ends U-21 match in Croatia 0
- Sorting through the most recent DaMarcus Beasley-to-MLS reports 3