Nov 18, 2013, 10:32 PM EST
MLS today announced plans for next year’s Desert Diamond Cup, a now-annual even in Tucson, Ariz., that is steadily growing (along with the number of teams who visit sunny Arizona for part of the preseason.)
Six MLS clubs will take part this year, up from the foursome of participants from 2013 (when the Seattle Sounders claimed the trophy ahead of New England, New York and Real Salt Lake).
This year’s tournament (officially named the 2014 FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup) will include the Chicago Fire, Chivas USA, Colorado Rapids, New England Revolution and Real Salt Lake, along with FC Tucson of the USL’s Premier Development League. The games are Feb. 19 through March 1.
Six additional MLS clubs will make their way to Tucson for preseason contests ahead of the actual tournament: Houston, Portland, San Jose, Sporting Kansas City, Seattle and Vancouver.
All the matches are schedule for FC Tucson’s new ground, the North Stadium of the Kino Sports Complex, which is pictured above (rather than the event’s former home inside the minor league baseball facility in the same complex).
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0
- Southampton 3-0 Everton: Saints hammer Toffees to end slide 0
- Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester United: Falcao header equals Benteke’s stunner, 10-man Villans hang on for point 1