Nov 20, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Make sure you have a pen, a piece of paper, a calculator and maybe some fingers and toes ready for all this, there are about to be some serious numbers thrown around.
Luckily for us, the chaps over at Forbes have been busy doing all the hard work and collecting data on Major League Soccer’s 19 franchises. They’ve found out which side take the mantle as “MLS’ Most Valuable Team” and have ranked all of the leagues franchises.
Forbes’ study calculates the teams value, while also noting each franchises revenue and operating income.
Surprised by some of these results? I am just going to throw out the overall value of each franchise in ascending order from the most valuable team.
Rave Green is all the rage these days, as Seattle lead the way with their incredible attendances and deep pockets to bring in big name DPs. Not far behind them in second place are the LA Galaxy and then the Portland Timbers are in a clear third spot ahead of Houston and surprisingly Toronto FC wedged closely in fourth and fifth.
There’s no surprise with some of MLS’ bottom-feeders in terms of value, but anyway, enough from me… enjoy breaking down the list below of Major League Soccer’s most valuable sides.
Most Valuable Teams in Major League Soccer
1. Seattle Sounders ($175 million)
2. LA Galaxy ($170 million)
3. Portland Timbers ($141 million)
4. Houston Dynamo ($125 million)
5. Toronto FC ($121 million)
6. New York Red Bulls ($114 million)
7. Sporting Kansas City ($108 million)
8. Chicago Fire ($102 million)
9. FC Dallas ($97 million)
10. Montreal Impact ($96 million)
11. Philadelphia Union ($90 million)
12. New England Revolution ($89 million)
13. Vancouver Whitecaps ($86 million)
14. Real Salt Lake ($85 million)
15. Colorado Rapids ($76 million)
16. San Jose Earthquakes ($75 million)
17. Columbus Crew ($73 million)
18. D.C. United ($71 million)
19. Chivas USA ($64 million)
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs