Nov 21, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
This is pure rumor mongering, but until Clint Dempsey gives us some indication where he might be going this winter, it’s all we’ve got. We know his new deal with the Seattle Sounders allows him to go out on loan this winter . We also know that Tottenham Hotspur have the option of bringing him back to White Hart Lane, though with the log jam of players Spurs acquired in late August, there may not be room.
As such, teams from Aston Villa to Everton to Dempsey’s former club Fulham have been linked with the U.S. captain. Maybe Liverpool might want to get into the Dempsey game, having barely missed out of him in Aug. 2012. Even with his struggles to get healthy and productive in Seattle, Dempsey has a well-established reputation in England. Somebody will want to take a chance on him.
The latest link is an interesting one, mostly because of how much sense it makes. Newcastle United may not have been the first team that came to people’s minds, but given how Alan Pardew his ninth place team playing, it’s not a bad fit. Dempsey can fill in both wide roles and play as a second striker, providing another option for a team that has had trouble finding somebody beyond Loic Remy to score goals. By putting Hatem Ben Arfa on the bench, Pardew’s told his team he’s looking for more than pure talent. Dempsey’s always had a work ethic that could fit in (and win time) at any club.
Before we get too carried away, some context is needed. This rumor’s being relayed by the Guardian, who posted it in their daily transfer rumors piece. It isn’t sourced to another outlet, so it may just be gossip – something an agent or an executive has passed along.
But that’s all any transfer rumor is at this time of year. That doesn’t stop us from talking about it, and it doesn’t stop some rumors from being right. If this report is a seed that grows into a January loan, Dempsey could do a lot worse. With the Magpies, the U.S. captain will at least have a chance to earn a spot, albeit a temporary one.
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0
- Southampton 3-0 Everton: Saints hammer Toffees to end slide 0
- Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester United: Falcao header equals Benteke’s stunner, 10-man Villans hang on for point 1
- Manchester City 3-0 Crystal Palace: Citizens level with Chelsea, play without a striker 0