Nov 21, 2013, 8:16 AM EST
After letting him leave as a teenager, Manchester United are set to step up their chase for French international midfielder Paul Pogba. The 20-year-old Juventus star has been attracting a whole host of Premier League clubs, including Arsenal and Manchester City, as they aim to bring him back to England. Pogba came through United’s academy and was destined for big things. However he left for Juve in 2012 and hasn’t looked back since after becoming a regular and being hugely successful in their Serie A title win last season. An industrious midfielder who has drawn comparisons with French legend Patrick Vieria, could Pogba leave Italy to return to England?
Another 20-year-old midfielder on Arsenal’s radar — as if they need another quality playmaker — is German international Julian Draxler. Chelsea have been long-term admirers of the Schalke star but it could be the Gunners who make a move for the highly-rated attacking midfielder. January may be too soon to pry him away from the Bundesliga but by next summer, many expect him to be playing in the Premier League. Draxler has admitted Arsenal interest him and a move after the World Cup could happen.
Newcastle could add a ninth Frenchman to their first-team squad, as Bordeaux striker Cheick Diabate may join the Magpies growing of French stars in England’s North East. The gangly 25-year-old has been scouted by West Ham and Arsenal, but Newcastle are set to offer $7.5 million for the big target man in the January window. With Papiss Demba Cisse struggling for form and only Loic Remy and Shola Ameobi as other options up front, Alan Pardew could do with another forward. Is Diabate the man?
Bacary Sagna could be on the move from Arsenal in Janaury, as Champions League rivals Napoli look to snap up the French international right back. This move is a bit of a strange one as Sagna has impressed, especially going forward, for the Gunners this season. But reports in Italy suggest Sagna could link up with Rafael Benitez as Arsene Wenger may prefer to go with 21-year-old right back Carl Jenkinson instead.
Nigerian international Eddy Onazi looks set to snub Everton in favor of Merseyside rivals Liverpool. The 20-year-old midfielder has been impressing at Italian side Lazio and talked about his admiration for the Reds. Onazi would add some extra trickery and depth to Brendan Rodgers attacking core and a move in January ahead of the World Cup could be in the cards.
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 5
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- Report: Man City Prepare $278 Million Offer for Lionel Messi
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season