Nov 22, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
The New England Revolution have begun their offseason by securing a few key players that were big parts of their squad this past season.
Defender of the Year candidate Jose Goncalves (pictured, left), forward Jerry Bengtson, and nine others were told their contract options were being exercised.
Goncalves was officially on loan from Swiss club FC Sion, and the Revolution confirmed his permanent transfer alongside the exercise of his 2014 MLS option.
Also remaining in New England next season will be Bobby Shuttleworth, Stephen McCarthy, A.J. Soares, O’Brian Woodbine, Scott Caldwell, Andy Dorman, Dimitry Imbongo and Saer Sene.
Out of contract this offseason for the Revs is striker Juan Agudelo, whose move to Stoke City broke down thanks to the failure of their appeal for a work permit. Also out of contract are Kevin Alston and Darrius Barnes.
Long-term signees Diego Fagundez, Andrew Farrell, Kelyn Rowe and Chris Tierney are all secured for at least next season.
With good news also comes the bad for some, however, as the club also waived or declined the options of 12 players. Among them were Juan Toja, Ryan Guy and Clyde Simms.
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: An L.A. Galaxy guy for sure, but who? 0
- WATCH: Men In Blazers recap derby weekend, visit with Brandon McCarthy 0
- MLS salaries released, showing Kaka nets MLS-record $7.1 million 4
- Report: Chivas USA to suspend operations for at least 2 years 3
- Stoke City 1-0 Newcastle: Crouch’s header sinks Newcastle, Pardew deeper (video) 0
- Report: Minnesota United’s Miguel Ibarra to get US national team call-up 2