ProSoccerTalk’s MLS awards choices: Rookie of the Year

Nov 22, 2013, 12:00 PM EST

We continue to roll out our choices for the league’s top defender, top goalkeeper, top rookie, MVP and more:

Today we look at ProSoccerTalk’s writer’s picks for Major League Soccer’s Rookie of the Year:

• Steve Davis

source:  Dillon Powers, Colorado Rapids

Dillon Powers helped lead the Rocky Mountain rookie revolution around DSG Park. A central midfielder (who kept far more experienced foreign veterans off the field), he was in the middle of all things offense and defense for Oscar Pareja’s stylish side. Even statistically, Powers’ body of work gets more impressive upon just a little deeper examination. Deshorn Brown (a top ROY candidate) tied an MLS rookie record with 10 goals, and also had four assists, so he contributed directly to 14 goals as a forward. But Powers’ ability to contribute directly to 11 goals (5 goals, 6 assists) as a central midfielder really is something else.

• Richard Farley

source:  Deshorn Brown, Colorado Rapids

I thought Andrew Farrell’s season for the New England Revolution ended up under-appreciated, something I only bring up because this became a two-Rapid race (DeAndre Yedlin love dissipated, too). Among them, I went with Deshorn Brown, who I thought was a handful for Colorado Rapids’ opponents throughout the season, bringing value that went beyond his 10 goals (which tied an MLS rookie record). That said, every time somebody tells me they voted for Rapids’ teammate Dillon Powers, I feel guilty and left out.

Joe Prince-Wright

source:  Dillon Powers, Colorado Rapids

Having come up against Powers once upon a time, his relentless movement and maneuvers to make space for himself is what impresses me most. At Notre Dame he led one of the most storied college soccer programs in the nation and he’s made the step up to MLS with consummate ease. Smashing long-range efforts in at will, bagging five goals and keeping Colorado’s engine ticking over in the middle of the pitch, Powers was a big reason why Oscar Pareja’s men made it to the playoffs. This guy will be a stud in the coming years. Think Will Johnson, but more powerful.

Schedule of ProSoccerTalk’s choices for MLS awards:

1. wfjackson3 - Nov 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Cue obnoxious Yedlin fanboys in 3, 2, 1…

• tonyinquakeland - Nov 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Please explain why one has to be an “obnoxious fanboy” to beleive Yedlin deserves it? I happen to think that he does. That he played nearly every minute of every game at a difficult position and got better all year. His defense was good and got stronger, his engine is nonstop and if you saw him delvier a goal and assist in Seattle’s last game, you know he has a big game attitude.

In fact, it became hip to bash the guy, a reverse fanboy syndrome that misses out on how well Yedlin played and how great his potenial is. He has been singled out by a lot of insiders this year too, for example Jeff Agoos who named his his favorite young player. Prefer another canidate, fine. But this kid is flat out good. There is nothing “fanboy” about recognizing it.

• wfjackson3 - Nov 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Convenient that you left out the times he got torched in his last game. If he is going to play outside back, he at least needs to be as good a defender as he is an attacker.

2. danielofthedale - Nov 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Powers would be my pick as well. I think he was a more consistent player week in and week put over Brown. A though call either way as both had a really good seasons.

3. hildezero - Nov 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

My choice was Deshorn Brown. Although I’d go with Yedlin as my second choice.

Week 17: PL Saturday recap