Nov 23, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
Hull City’s unbeaten record at the KC Stadium has ended. So has Crystal Palace’s long goalless drought. Palace finally scored their first goal in four matches, and recorded their first win in nine. They’re still at the bottom of the table, but maybe Tony Pulis won’t have such a difficult time as he may have first imagined?
At the beginning of the match, Palace forward Marouane Chamakh and Hull defender Paul McShane went head to head, causing them both to be wrapped up, zombie style, in giant bandages. This is being reported because it was possibly the most interesting thing that occurred in the first half.
Steve Bruce did his best to make sure his Hull side kept their unbeaten record at the KC Stadium, once again taking a conservative approach to the match — the sort of style that means no one, not even the fans, wins. The Tigers’ tactics very nearly worked: the hosts held on to a goalless draw until the 81st minute.
In fact, it seemed as though after Yannick Bolasie was sent off for a rough challenge on Jake Livermore, Hull were certain to come away with the win. But perhaps that — arguably harsh — red card was just the impetus Palace needed. Just three minutes later, the visitors had the ball in the back of the net. Hull let their guard slip and lost the ball, giving Cameron Jerome — on in the first half for the injured Chamakh — the chance to swoop in. Jerome slotted over to Barry Bannan, who only needed to tap in from close range.
Hull City: McGregor, Figueroa, Elmohamady, Davies, McShane, Huddlestone, Livermore, Boyd, Brady, Koren, Sagbo
Subs not used: Harper, Rosenior, Faye, Bruce, Meyler, Graham, Gedo
Crystal Palace: Speroni, Ward, Gabbidon, Delaney, Moxey, Jedinak, Dikgacoi, Bannan, Bolasie, Gayle, Chamakh (Jerome 36)
Subs not used: Alexander, Mariappa, Phillips, O’Keefe, Puncheon, Williams
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1