Nov 24, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
English League One side Leyton Orient saw their goalkeeper attacked Saturday in a 3-1 road win at Swindon Town.
A fan reportedly ran onto the pitch during a stoppage in play and threw three punches at goalkeeper Jamie Jones before players diffused the situation.
The FA have announced they are investigating the incident, and will speak with officials from both teams before deciding on what action to take.
Wiltshire Police yesterday confirmed a 26-year-old man was in custody for suspicion of pitch invasion at County Ground.
According to the BBC, the fan could face a lifetime ban for his actions.
“We deplore scenes of this kind and would call for the authorities to take the appropriate actions if allegations of assault are proven” said an FA spokesperson. “We will be speaking to both clubs involved to determine the facts surrounding the incident.”
Leyton Orient manager Russell Slade was furious about it after the match.
“It was a great win, but it was clouded by a fan running onto the pitch and throwing three punches at my goalkeeper,” said Slade. “It is unbelievable. He’s okay, but that doesn’t make it right. It’s outrageous. [The supporter] needs a ban for life. He should never go to another football match.”
The win by Orient brought them to the top of the League One table.
Video of the incident has appeared on YouTube. You can see the fan highlighted as he enters the screen and swings at Jones, at which point a member of the player congregation points and alerts the rest of the pack and both teams rush to the keeper’s aid. Watch:
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 4
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0