Nov 24, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
English League One side Leyton Orient saw their goalkeeper attacked Saturday in a 3-1 road win at Swindon Town.
A fan reportedly ran onto the pitch during a stoppage in play and threw three punches at goalkeeper Jamie Jones before players diffused the situation.
The FA have announced they are investigating the incident, and will speak with officials from both teams before deciding on what action to take.
Wiltshire Police yesterday confirmed a 26-year-old man was in custody for suspicion of pitch invasion at County Ground.
According to the BBC, the fan could face a lifetime ban for his actions.
“We deplore scenes of this kind and would call for the authorities to take the appropriate actions if allegations of assault are proven” said an FA spokesperson. “We will be speaking to both clubs involved to determine the facts surrounding the incident.”
Leyton Orient manager Russell Slade was furious about it after the match.
“It was a great win, but it was clouded by a fan running onto the pitch and throwing three punches at my goalkeeper,” said Slade. “It is unbelievable. He’s okay, but that doesn’t make it right. It’s outrageous. [The supporter] needs a ban for life. He should never go to another football match.”
The win by Orient brought them to the top of the League One table.
Video of the incident has appeared on YouTube. You can see the fan highlighted as he enters the screen and swings at Jones, at which point a member of the player congregation points and alerts the rest of the pack and both teams rush to the keeper’s aid. Watch:
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 0
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 3
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs 0
- Bayern Munich 1-0 Manchester City: Last-gasp win for Bayern in Bavaria 2
- Men In Blazers podcast: A happy PL return, while Spencer Lanning talks ‘football’ 0