Nov 24, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Rooney should most likely have seen red early on for a kick to the calf of Jordan Mutch, but he got away with yellow from referee Neil Swarbrick.
The Manchester United striker used an outstanding spin move to score seven minutes later after receiving a beautiful flick-on from Javier Hernandez in the box.
It took a lot of hard work from Cardiff City, but they slotted through two excellent through balls from Peter Whittingham and Mutch to find Frazier Campbell open past his man for a goal of their own.
The scoreline again wouldn’t last long though, as Patrice Evra took a corner from Wayne Rooney and headed it far post past David Marshall for a 2-1 lead.
If Manchester United can hold on for all 3 points, they would move past Manchester City into fourth place in the Premier League table.
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 0
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 4
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 3
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 5
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 7
- FIFA fallout continues: Swiss authorities open criminal proceedings into allocation of 2018, 2022 World Cups 7