Nov 24, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Rooney should most likely have seen red early on for a kick to the calf of Jordan Mutch, but he got away with yellow from referee Neil Swarbrick.
The Manchester United striker used an outstanding spin move to score seven minutes later after receiving a beautiful flick-on from Javier Hernandez in the box.
It took a lot of hard work from Cardiff City, but they slotted through two excellent through balls from Peter Whittingham and Mutch to find Frazier Campbell open past his man for a goal of their own.
The scoreline again wouldn’t last long though, as Patrice Evra took a corner from Wayne Rooney and headed it far post past David Marshall for a 2-1 lead.
If Manchester United can hold on for all 3 points, they would move past Manchester City into fourth place in the Premier League table.
- Premier League Preview: West Brom vs. Manchester United 0
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2
- Where does Sergio Aguero rank with the world’s best? 0
- Michael Bradley to Jurgen Klinsmann: ‘I have thick skin’ 0
- Stoke 2-1 Swansea: Substitutes pick up three points for the Potters 0