Nov 24, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
Rooney should most likely have seen red early on for a kick to the calf of Jordan Mutch, but he got away with yellow from referee Neil Swarbrick.
The Manchester United striker used an outstanding spin move to score seven minutes later after receiving a beautiful flick-on from Javier Hernandez in the box.
It took a lot of hard work from Cardiff City, but they slotted through two excellent through balls from Peter Whittingham and Mutch to find Frazier Campbell open past his man for a goal of their own.
The scoreline again wouldn’t last long though, as Patrice Evra took a corner from Wayne Rooney and headed it far post past David Marshall for a 2-1 lead.
If Manchester United can hold on for all 3 points, they would move past Manchester City into fourth place in the Premier League table.
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claims two teams interested 2
- Player Ratings: Some good, some not so good in Chile’s 3-2 win over the U.S. 11
- Chile 3-2 USMNT: Another lead disintegrates for Klinsmann’s crew 1
- Sheffield United 2-2 Tottenham: Eriksen sees Spurs to All-London final in absolute thriller 2
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Lots will be drawn to determine second place in Group D 0
- Queens Park Rangers’ Canadian winger Junior Hoilett on Toronto FC, relegation battles and more 0