Nov 24, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
Rooney should most likely have seen red early on for a kick to the calf of Jordan Mutch, but he got away with yellow from referee Neil Swarbrick.
The Manchester United striker used an outstanding spin move to score seven minutes later after receiving a beautiful flick-on from Javier Hernandez in the box.
It took a lot of hard work from Cardiff City, but they slotted through two excellent through balls from Peter Whittingham and Mutch to find Frazier Campbell open past his man for a goal of their own.
The scoreline again wouldn’t last long though, as Patrice Evra took a corner from Wayne Rooney and headed it far post past David Marshall for a 2-1 lead.
If Manchester United can hold on for all 3 points, they would move past Manchester City into fourth place in the Premier League table.
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return 1
- Swansea’s Bafetimbi Gomis stretchered off the pitch after appearing to collapse 1
- Watch Live: West Ham United vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0