Nov 25, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
The league’s most unstable club is at it again. As I said on Twitter earlier today, “Chivas gonna Chivas.”
More accurately, of course, it would be “Chivas USA gonna Chivas USA.” But that just doesn’t have the same ring-a-ding-ding, now does it?
Either way, what else can you say about the Chivas USA bus, habitually swerving all over the road, all crazy and directionless, ever a threat to drive plum into the next ditch?
Today comes word that Chivas USA coach Jose Luis Real has been named manager of the mother ship, Chivas de Guadalajara of Mexico’s Liga MX. Which means Chivas USA of piddling little MLS is looking for a coach again.
If they hurry, they can have their third in this calendar year.
So, what’s worse in all this: that more proof has arrived that the Chivas organization treats its MLS entry as a feeder unit, just some storage facility along the 405 in Southern California to stash a prospect or a manager for future use at somewhere, you know … that matters?
I mean, when else do we say that an MLS manager is “promoted” from within the organization? What is this, soccer’s version of the minor league Davenport Blue Sox?
Or is it worse that a man was “promoted” after steering Chivas USA to a 3-12-6 record in MLS matches. That was Chivas USA under Real; apparently that bog of “not much” qualifies as a stirring success for the StubHub Center’s second tenant.
(Word to all Chivas USA supporters: I love you. And respect you. Truly! … I get on your club because I want it to be better, because I want the organization’s top suits to stop treating your club like a mini-warehouse you rent by the month to store your disused furniture and that old mini fridge.)
There are now three MLS coaching vacancies: FC Dallas, Chivas USA and the Vancouver Whitecaps.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1