Major League Soccer releases 2014 schedule, Sporting KC vs. Seattle to kick things off live on NBCSN
Nov 25, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
On Monday Major League Soccer announced the schedule for the 2014 season as fans across MLS start to plan for this season.
In the lead up to the 2013 MLS Cup between Sporting KC and Real Salt Lake at Sporting Park, MLS revealed their entire schedule for the 2014 season — the last year in which 19 teams will compete for MLS Cup as NYC FC and Orlando City will join in 2015 — and some mouth-watering match ups are already sticking out.
The league’s 19th regular season will begin on March 8 from CenturyLink field as SKC travel to the Seattle Sounders, 3pm ET, live on NBCSN.
NBC Sports Network will now have a dedicated Friday night slot from June 27 through October 24 and in the third year of the network’s coverage MLS fans will have even more to look forward to. In total NBC Sports will show 38 regular season games on NBCSN and three on NBC. Plus the hugely popular MLS Breakaway will also return on NBCSN on August 2 and September 20.
As widely expected MLS will take a two-week break during the group phase of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, just like it did back in 2010 when the World Cup was in South Africa. The last MLS matches before the break are on June 11, one day before the start of the World Cup.
Some intriguing rivalry matches adorn the must see matches, here are a quick list of 10 you shouldn’t miss:
- LA Galaxy vs. Real Salt Lake, Sat., March 8
- Vancouver Whitecaps vs. New York Red Bulls, Sat., March 8
- Houston Dynamo vs. Montreal Impact, Sat., March 15
- Sporting KC vs. Real Salt Lake, Sat., April 5
- Real Salt Lake vs. Portland Timbers, Sat., April 19
- Chicago Fire vs. LA Galaxy, Sun., June 1
- San Jose Earthquakes vs. Chicago Fire, Weds., July 23
- San Jose Earthquakes vs. Seattle Sounders, Sat., August 2
- Columbus Crew vs. LA Galaxy, Sat., August 16
- New York Red Bulls vs. Columbus Crew, Sun., October 19
A here’s a snippet of history for you here too, as MLS’s very own Dan Courtemanche reveals this fixture release is indeed the earliest in league history. Thanks, Dan.
From MLS’ release, this is just some of the MLS action you can look forward to exclusively in 2014 live on NBC Sports Network:
In the third season of its partnership, NBC Sports Group will open its coverage of the MLS season with six back-to-back Saturday afternoon matches, aligning with NBC Sports Group’s Barclays Premier League coverage. The broadcast package will feature MLS matches on Friday night slots on NBCSN from June 27 through October 24. All told, NBC Sports Group will broadcast 38 regular season games, plus three on NBC. Some of the highlights include two Fourth of July matches, LA vs. Portland and Houston vs. New York Red Bulls, and the California Clasico between San Jose and LA on June 28 at Stanford Stadium, all on NBCSN.
- Men in Blazers podcast: Wayne Rooney’s implosion, Derby Day and an MiBNT update 0
- So much for bad hamstrings, Costa states he’s ready for Spain selection 0
- Mats Hummels says his future is at Dortmund 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Liverpool face Basel, Arsenal defend the Emirates 1
- Why do Manchester City struggle so much in the Champions League? 0
- Xavi breaks record for Champions League appearances 0