Nov 25, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
What’s that, you can’t believe transfers rumors regarding the January Transfer Window are already hotting up?
I know, neither can we. But the fact is folks, plenty of whispers of transfer activity across Europe is already happening, so here’s the latest word on the street.
How likely are the transfers below?
Arsene Wenger is already looking to strengthen his front line in the January transfer window, but he’s looking towards a player you probably haven’t heard of before. Romanian international striker Ciprian Marica is on the Gunners wish list as the Getafe forward is exactly what Wenger wants in a back up forward for Olivier Giroud. Marica, 28, has played for Stuttgart, Schalke and Shakhtar Donetsk in the past and would be a much cheaper alternative than the likes of Christian Benteke or Karim Benzema. Should Arsenal splash out on one of the big boys? Or go for Marica?
Tottenham are looking to add 25-year-old Sevilla winger Diego Perotti to their ranks and could snap up the Argentine for $12 million. Perotti has expressed his desire to move to England in January and is keen on helping Spurs reignite their offense as Andre-Villas Boas’ men struggle to find any goalscoring threat. Perotti has interested Arsenal and AC Milan but several small injuries this campaign has hampered his progress. If the exciting winger can get back to full fitness, a switch to the PL could be in the cards this winter. Do Tottenham really need another tricky winger? I’d say a striker is of more pressing concern.
Tim Krul has excelled in goal for Newcastle United this season… but the Dutchman could be on his way out of St. James’ Park. After a string of impressive displays the 25-year-old is being lined up by Italian champions Juventus as a potential long-term replacement for legend Gianluigi Buffon but the Magpies want $30 million for their star shot-stopper. If that mega move does go through, Alan Pardew wants to bring in Reading’s Alex McCarthy as Newcastle look to life after Krul.
Everton’s out of favor striker Nikica Jelavic could be on his way out of Goodison Park in January as West Ham look to snap up the Croatian forward amid their growing injury concerns up top. Jelavic, 29, has been stuck in a rut for over a year with the Toffees and has looked devoid of confidence ever since the start of the 2012-13 PL season. There’s no doubt he has all the talent to excel in England’s top-flight after he scored 11 goals in 16 games when joining Everton in January 2012 from Glasgow Rangers. But since then Jelavic’s goals have dried up and he scored just eight goals in 43 games last season. An initial loan move has bee mooted by the Hammers with a permanent deal worth $7.5 million in the offing if Jelavic delivers.
Dundee United wonderkid Ryan Gauld is described by many as the “Scottish Messi” and the 17-year-old certainly put on a dazzling display this weekend in the Scottish Premiership. Gauld made all four go United’s goals in a 4-1 win over Partick Thistle and the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool are sniffing around to acquire the highly-rated attacker. Dundee United want $9 million for his services and the tricky attacker has been a revelation since Jackie McNamara took charge at Tannadice. Expect to hear plenty of top European clubs linked with this kid over the coming weeks and months.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs