Nov 25, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
Of all the derbies in the West Midlands, this is the one Aston Villa supporters look forward to most, yet over the last two years, it’s been the Baggies who’ve headlined the rivalry. Though the teams have drawn their last three meetings, West Brom won the prior two, leaving them unbeaten in five against their claret and blue rivals. Whereas a few years back Villa had a persistent presence near the circuit’s Europa League spots, West Brom has now finished above Aston Villa two years in a row.
But coming into today’s match (3:00 p.m. Eastern, available live via NBC Sports Live Extra), the teams are on practically even footing. With each on 14 points, a win will vault the victors over 10th place Swansea and into the table’s top half. A draw and the teams will stay where they are: 11th and 12th place, with only one goal difference separating the clubs.
As for any Aston Villa opponent, one of West Brom’s keys will be containing Christian Benteke, even if the Belgian international has failed to score in his last four games. West Brom central defenders Gareth McAuley and Jonas Olsson will be tasked with tracking the 22-year-old sniper, who scored in the 14th minute of the teams’ last meeting in April (a 2-2 draw).
The Baggies, on the other hand, are relying on scoring by committee, with four players sharing the club’s scoring lead with two goals. Morgan Amalfitano and Stephane Sessegnon are capable of both creating and scoring goals from the level behind the striker, with England U-21 forward Saido Berahino one of quartet that’s gotten Steve Clarke multiple goals.
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 0
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 4
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 5
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0
- From Prague, with love: Klinsmann previews USA’s friendly vs. Czech Republic 4