Nov 26, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Pellegrini ruled out selling the England international on Tuesday claiming there is no chance he sells Hart in the January transfer window.
The Chilean’s words come after transfer rumors erupted that City were interested in signing Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, with suggestions that Hart could move on loan in the opposite direction.
“There is a lot of news about six or seven goalkeepers that we want to buy but it is not true,” said Pellegrini.
“There is no chance that Joe Hart could go out of this squad in January.”
Yet while the City boss ruled out a sale or loan of Hart, he did not close the door on signing Begovic and possibly moving his other goalkeeper, Costel Pantilimon, somewhere else.
Pantilimon replaced Hart earlier this month following a series of high-profile blunders and has done well in the starting role. While Hart will start between the sticks in Wednesday’s Champions clash against Viktoria Plzen at the Etihad, most believe Pantilimon will return for Sunday’s clash with Swansea in the Premier League.
Wednesday’s match is somewhat of a formality as City are already guaranteed a place in the last 16 of the Champions League. They do, however, stand a chance of overhauling Bayern Munich to finish top of Group D if the results go the right way.
“I think it is very important to win the group,” Pellegrini said. “It is not the most important thing, the most important thing is to qualify, but it is very important to play well also.”
As to Hart, Pellegrini noted that “[t]he important thing for Joe is that he will play tomorrow and we hope he will have a very good performance.”
Pellegrini and every England fan, for that matter.
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 4
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3