ProSoccerTalk’s MLS awards choices: Most Valuable Player

Nov 26, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT

We continue to roll out our choices for the league’s top defender, top goalkeeper, top rookie, MVP and more:

Today we look at ProSoccerTalk’s writer’s picks for Major League Soccer’s Most Valuable Player:

• Steve Davis

source: APRobbie Keane, Los Angeles Galaxy

There are great arguments for several players – more than I can remember for a single season, in fact. Mike Magee, Marco Di Vaio, Camilo and Will Johnson would all make splendid choices. But Keane was consistently the best player I watched this year, always sharp of movement, unwavering in his commitment. And then the argument really ends for me on the raw statistical, scoring evidence: only one player in Major League Soccer contributed directly to more goals. Keane was in on 27 Galaxy strikes (16 goals, 11 assists). Only Camilo (22 goals, 6 assists) nicked the Irish international, and that came on the final-day push, with playoffs out of the question. Keane’s significant contributions to a better team seal the deal for me.

• Richard Farley

source:  Mike Magee, Chicago Fire

This isn’t a most valuable to their team-thing. I don’t believe in that. I vote for the best player in the league, and almost remarkably, I felt Mike Magee was MLS’s best. From journeyman to opportunist to legitimate front line, impact player, Magee’s 2013 is the culmination of a remarkable, prolonged arc. While this isn’t a get out of the wheelchair and walk-level miracle, it is astounding how we got here. In a league that has Keane, Henry, Cahill, Di Vaio, and Donovan, Mike Magee was the best player. And I’m more than okay with that. I’m thrilled.

• Joe Prince-Wright

source:  Will Johnson, Portland Timbers

He meshes everything together for the Portland Timbers and has scored some fantastic goals. That’s not really what his game is all about as Johnson harries and harasses the opposition and suits the Timbers’ high-pressing approach perfectly. The Canadian international midfielder has been an inspired pick up by Caleb Porter and is the heart and soul of his team. A true box-to-box player, Johnson can do it all with ease.

1. drewvt6 - Nov 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Everytime I see Will Johnson’s mug I get the overwhelming urge to punch it. He’s the MVP of the league like John Starks was the MVP of the 1993 NBA season. Simply because he was so good at harassing the Bull, and him and the NY Thugs were almost able to beat Jordan and Co. into submission. Sure he was talented and made some big plays in some big games, but once he left that NY environment that catered to his skill set he was simply a whiny punk with a limited game.

2. danielofthedale - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM

This might be the most wide open MVP race in league history with nearly ten guys all having a legit argument for the award. I would pick Mike Magee though. Chicago was looking like they would be finishing the season down around Chivas USA and TFC, but once Magee showed up he was able to lead them to the thick of the playoff hunt and only missed out on GD. I think he clearly has the most impact on points than any other player and without him his team would drop the farthest.

• drewvt6 - Nov 26, 2013 at 7:38 PM

…and with him the Galaxy are challenging for their 3rd straight title in a few weeks…

• danielofthedale - Nov 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I think that is a very real possibility

3. hildezero - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Who or what is, “GD”? Never heard that.

• danielofthedale - Nov 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Goal Differential

4. hildezero - Nov 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Oh, alright… I see what you mean now.

Week 8: Saturday PL recap