Nov 28, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
The reports are flying – Everton are interested in bringing in Clint Dempsey on short-term loan this winter.
But are they true?
Toffees manager Roberto Martinez was asked that exact question Thursday and in true Martinezian form, he kept it classy (and coy).
“I’m sure there are going to be many links. We are looking at many players,” said Martinez.
“We’re looking at many possibilities. But it’s not the time to talk about it now. We’ll never speak about a player who is registered with another football club.
“Any links that you get, you’re not going to be far wrong, but in the same way, you’re not going to be far right either.”
OK, so if they’re not ‘far wrong’ and they’re not ‘far right’ then they’re in the middle, right? So then Everton IS interested in taking Deuce on short-term loan? Who the heck knows!?!?!
Read those tea leaves as you will.
Even if Everton is interested – which, with Arouna Kone out for the season and Nikica Jelavic coming off a poor 2012-13 season, they definitely are – there’s some hoops the club will need to jump through first.
The biggest one being that Tottenham reportedly have the first option to re-sign the US striker, while Fulham and Aston Villa have also been linked with Dempsey.
Spurs could definitely be interested. Bobby Soldier only scores penalties, Jermain Defoe only plays in the Europa League and AVB hates Emmanuel Adebayor. So there’s definitely room for another striker at White Hart Lane. Deuce makes sense.
As to Jelavic, he’s a player that Martinez doesn’t sounds ready to part with: “From our point of view, it’s very important that Niki stays with us and is ready to help the team whenever the opportunity arises. That could be very soon.”
34 Days until the circus begins. Strap in.
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 0
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 12
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 9
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0