Nov 29, 2013, 7:42 AM EDT
Brace yourselves Florida, Beckham mania is about to hit you before the clock strikes midnight on New Years Eve.
At least… that’s the plan.
Those streamers and party hats will come in handy if Major League Soccer and David Beckham finally announce the worst kept secret on the U.S. sports scene, an MLS franchise will arrive in Miami before January 1 2014.
Beckham hopes to announce that is indeed the case sooner rather than later, as the former Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy star spoke about his efforts to own a proposed MLS franchise in Miami now his playing career has finished.
“Hopefully there will be an announcement before the new year,” Beckham said in an interview with Sky Sports in the UK. “We haven’t announced that it’s definitely going to be Miami yet but obviously I’ve been seen in Miami quite a few times. We’re getting the details right at the moment.”
In the past few months Beckham has been spotted in South Florida on several occasions and has had Bolivian businessman Marcelo Claure at his side as the two throw money, time and effort into making MLS in Miami a reality. Bringing soccer to MIA is something Becks is passionate about and with the likes of NBA superstar LeBron James stating his interest in being involved with the new franchise, what could go wrong? That’s another story entirely, as fans of the now defunct Miami Fusion know only too well. But with Orlando City recently being announced as MLS’ 21st franchise to join in 2015, a Floridian rival can help rejuvenate the Southeast as a soccer hotspot.
Becks’ is hoping his legacy will get off the ground in the next month, it’s going to be a treat to see what he has in store for us.
“I’m excited about the future,” Beckham said with a smile on his face. “I want to put back into the game a little something and if this is the way of doing it… then it’s amazing. I’m excited about that.”
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs