Nov 30, 2013, 7:08 PM EST
The narrative writes itself on this one, as Gareth Bale provided a hat trick in his latest opportunity to ease the pain of Cristiano Ronaldo’s injury.
But let’s not get carried away. Saturday’s La Liga win was a romp-and-stomp over defenseless and overmatched Real Valladolid. All credit to Bale for finding the gaps – but they were vast.
He will have tougher nights, for sure. His threesome Saturday at the Estadio Santiago Bernabéu included an uncontested header, an uncontested put-away from about eight yards and a little close-range finish as he was allowed to gallop free in the 18.
So, while Ronaldo and his Russian model girlfriend Irina Shayk watched from the stands in Madrid, Bale became only the second British player to record a hat-trick in La Liga action since Gary Lineker did so in 1987.
Bale, last year’s pride of Tottenham, of course, now has seven goals in La Liga matches and another pair in Champions League competition.
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 0
- Premier League Playback: With 10 games to go, here’s how things stand 1
- Men In Blazers podcast: Ginormous preview of 2015 MLS season with Alexi Lalas 0
- Manchester United’s Jonny Evans denies spitting, but Cisse apologizes as ban looms (video) 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: New York Red Bulls 1
- Who, if anybody, won the CBA negotiations in MLS: The players or the league? 9