Nov 30, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
It looks like Arsenal are on their way to remaining top of the Premier League, having already taken a 1-0 lead at Cardiff. The Gunners missed two fantastic opportunities to score in the first fifteen minutes, but before the half hour was out, Aaron Ramsey had broken the deadlock.
Mesut Özil got away down the left side, taking the opportunity to put a lovely cross in toward the middle. Ramsey timed his run to perfection, arriving just in time to head the ball neatly past David Marshall and into the back of the net. The best part of the goal, however, was that the entire stadium rose to its feet to applaud — despite the fact that the match was taking place in Cardiff! In a gesture of mutual respect, Ramsey held off on celebrating against his former club.
It could’ve easily been 2-0 to the Gunners, or even 3-0, by that point. In the first minute, Jack Wilshere‘s sharp shot hit the post. 15 minutes in, Olivier Giroud made a shocking mistake, getting on to the end of a ball from Ramsey only to stop dead. But when the forward glanced over at the linesman, he found the flag hadn’t gone up. Whoops!
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 0
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5
- Ángel Di María approaching Paris Saint-Germain move 0
- Personal terms all that separates Griezmann from $40 million move to Atlético Madrid 0
- Manuel Pellegrini talks title ambitions, Manchester City vs. AC Milan, US tour 1