Dec 1, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
Manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed Sturridge suffered a strain of a foot or ankle ligament and will miss six to eight weeks with the injury.
Sturridge suffered the injury in training Friday. Rodgers said they originally thought it was a toe injury until further testing showed the ligament damage.
The Liverpool boss called it a “big blow,” a sentiment not many would argue.
Sturridge performed admirably in the beginning of the season during Suarez’s suspension, bagging four goals in his partner’s absence. His form didn’t slow once Suarez returned, and the two have played off each other well.
The 24-year-old has scored five goals since the Uruguayan’s return, giving him nine overall this year. He’s also teed up Suarez twice on assists.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1