Dec 1, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
Manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed Sturridge suffered a strain of a foot or ankle ligament and will miss six to eight weeks with the injury.
Sturridge suffered the injury in training Friday. Rodgers said they originally thought it was a toe injury until further testing showed the ligament damage.
The Liverpool boss called it a “big blow,” a sentiment not many would argue.
Sturridge performed admirably in the beginning of the season during Suarez’s suspension, bagging four goals in his partner’s absence. His form didn’t slow once Suarez returned, and the two have played off each other well.
The 24-year-old has scored five goals since the Uruguayan’s return, giving him nine overall this year. He’s also teed up Suarez twice on assists.
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 4
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 8
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Whole New World Edition 1
- Samuel Eto’o signs two-year deal with Everton 0
- League Cup Roundup: Manchester United embarrassed by Milton Keynes, 4-0 13