Dec 1, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
Manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed Sturridge suffered a strain of a foot or ankle ligament and will miss six to eight weeks with the injury.
Sturridge suffered the injury in training Friday. Rodgers said they originally thought it was a toe injury until further testing showed the ligament damage.
The Liverpool boss called it a “big blow,” a sentiment not many would argue.
Sturridge performed admirably in the beginning of the season during Suarez’s suspension, bagging four goals in his partner’s absence. His form didn’t slow once Suarez returned, and the two have played off each other well.
The 24-year-old has scored five goals since the Uruguayan’s return, giving him nine overall this year. He’s also teed up Suarez twice on assists.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 6 0
- ProSoccerTalk MLS Team of the Week – Week 6 0
- Arsene Wenger insists Arsenal can finish in the top four 4
- Arsenal 3-1 West Ham United: Podolski double puts Gunners back in the win column (video) 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Clint Dempsey 0
- Promotion Watch: Burnley on the cusp of Premier League return 1