Dec 1, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
Manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed Sturridge suffered a strain of a foot or ankle ligament and will miss six to eight weeks with the injury.
Sturridge suffered the injury in training Friday. Rodgers said they originally thought it was a toe injury until further testing showed the ligament damage.
The Liverpool boss called it a “big blow,” a sentiment not many would argue.
Sturridge performed admirably in the beginning of the season during Suarez’s suspension, bagging four goals in his partner’s absence. His form didn’t slow once Suarez returned, and the two have played off each other well.
The 24-year-old has scored five goals since the Uruguayan’s return, giving him nine overall this year. He’s also teed up Suarez twice on assists.
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3