Dec 1, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
Manager Brendan Rodgers confirmed Sturridge suffered a strain of a foot or ankle ligament and will miss six to eight weeks with the injury.
Sturridge suffered the injury in training Friday. Rodgers said they originally thought it was a toe injury until further testing showed the ligament damage.
The Liverpool boss called it a “big blow,” a sentiment not many would argue.
Sturridge performed admirably in the beginning of the season during Suarez’s suspension, bagging four goals in his partner’s absence. His form didn’t slow once Suarez returned, and the two have played off each other well.
The 24-year-old has scored five goals since the Uruguayan’s return, giving him nine overall this year. He’s also teed up Suarez twice on assists.
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: The managers 0
- Florentino Perez announces firing of Carlo Ancelotti by Real Madrid 0
- Middlesbrough 0-2 Norwich City: Comfortable Canaries back in Premier League 0
- Ten biggest storylines of the Premier League season that was 0
- VIDEO: Premier League’s Top 10 goals of the season, from A(dam) to Z(amora) 0
- Premier League final day roundup: 2014-15 season finishes with a flourish 0