Dec 1, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
Lost among Fulham’s consequences of Saturday’s result at Upton Park was West Ham’s performance, a ecisive victory for a Hammers side that came into the weekend within reach of the drop. Instead of being pulled into that mire, Sam Allardyce‘s team found three second half goals, Ravel Morrison coming off the bench to play a part in the final two as West Ham went on to win 3-0. Had the Hammers faltered against the wayward Cottagers, Allardyce’s pressure may have shifted from one manager to the other.
Instead, this weekend’s headline moment was the last chapter in Martin Jol‘s tenure at Fulham, one that ends after just over two years in charge at Craven Cottage. Though his time on the River Thames started well, Jol’s initial lumps taken with the purpose of changing the way Fulham had played under Mark Hughes, the Dutchman’s time with with the Cottagers ends with the team adrift, neither coach nor squad showing the type of urgency that would see them out of the drop.
Finally compelled to move from Jol, Fulham’s responsible for this weekend’s headline moment, with Cottagers hoping Rene Meulensteen will bring some fight to a team being too comfortable with their place in the league’s bottom three.
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes