Dec 2, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
There is still almost a full week before Major League Soccer’s 18th champion is crowned in likely frigid KC – so, no reason to push the panic button. But I am sensing a lack of buzz right now.
There really has been a perfect storm of anti-matter here. The entire playoff schedule was squirrelly, as we’ve talked about several times at PST. Some was Major League Soccer’s fault, but not all; breaking for the FIFA date was the right thing to do, and that added to the buzz killing gaps. So, the starts and stops of the postseason never allowed the MLS Cup mo to build into critical mass. Add the fact that two of the smaller market clubs will compete this week at Sporting Park and, well, here we are.
It’s a light dusting of buzz when we’d prefer to see a big ol’ blizzard of the stuff.
But perhaps MLS Commissioner Don Garber can say something provocative or highly newsworthy Tuesday during his annual State of the League address. It happens at 2 p.m. ET Tuesday, when the league’s official Best XI side will also be revealed. Anyone interested can watch online at MLSsoccer.com.
Topics Garber seems sure to address: More on expansion and (hopefully) the latest developments on David Beckham and his Miami maneuvers; more gushing over Orlando and everything MLS No. 21 is doing (and apparently doing right); perhaps some thoughts on the league’s ongoing player development initiatives, and; almost certainly some thoughts on Kansas City (site of this week’s MLS Cup, of course) as one of the amazing success stories of MLS.
Garber’s remarks will also be available via the Google+ Hangout option.
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 5
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 4
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs 0