Dec 3, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
Last year this would have been a throw back to the old days in England, Tony Pulis‘s dogged pragmatism against the blunt efficacy of Sam Allardyce‘s approach. Now? Allardyce’s West Ham have at times played without a traditional striker, while Pulis is in his second game at a new job. The core of each man’s soccer ethos may be unchanged, but was may be in for some surprises today at Selhurst Park.
That’s where Crystal Palace, still entrenched at the bottom of the Premier League, will welcome the Hammers to start the league’s mid-week match day. With nine matches scheduled tomorrow, today’s meeting between London clubs serves as the appetizer for the league’s 14th round of action, and although we’re still likely to see a physical, direct, cagey affair battle between teams set up by two blunt bosses, the importance of three points between two lower-table teams should make for a spirited match.
Today’s game is available live on NBC Sports Live Extra, with festivities set to kick off in Croydon at 3 p.m. Eastern.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 5
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 9
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0