Dec 3, 2013, 8:22 PM EST
Everyone gets excited when one of Major League Soccer’s corner office types mentions specifically targeted expansion cities. And no one is more “corner office” around MLS than commissioner Don Garber.
Miami is the big elephant of an expansion target currently in MLS sights. And this continued rush to fill out the MLS geographical map with lots o’ dots in the American Southeast means Atlanta has gained favored status after the boxes are checked in South Florida.
Past that, today’s list of targets further in the distance included some familiar names – and one relative newcomer. In his ever evolving scroll of dangling possibilities, Garber today mentioned St. Louis, San Antonio and Minneapolis. And Austin! Which is a relative newcomer in this ongoing game of “Whose got next? … MLS expansion edition.”
Either way, Garber says there is no secret formula.
“It starts with an ownership group and moves from there to a downtown stadium, and it really is very simple,” Garber said Tuesday. “The downtown stadium is a formula that has been working for us. It’s hard for us to imagine a scenario where we go into a market without one of those.”
Actually, he has been saying this for a while now. So have I. So have a bunch of other people … but given the human tendency to complicate, we keep looking for something more complex. “Surely it cannot be THIS simple, right?”
It’s not. Right owner with sufficient financing. Right stadium – probably downtown. From there, TV markets and some other considerations may fall in line, but they do seem to be well down this line.
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 9
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs
- Barrett Nails Last Minute Goal for Seattle 1-0 Victory
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers