Dec 3, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
During his State of MLS talk and journalists’ follow-up questions, MLS commissioner Don Garber talked Tuesday about the ongoing efforts to bring in David Beckham and his efforts to establish a franchise in Miami – at a discounted price, as we know.
Garber said the group, which includes entertainment mogul and longtime Beckham advisor Simon Fuller, will not bring a specific proposal to Major League Soccer’s board of directors (owners, that is) during this weekend’s series of meetings attached to MLS Cup.
But he would love to see a specific proposal soon, Garber said. He cannot offer a specific timetable, but …
“We are very excited about the opportunity of David putting together the ownership group and finalizing a stadium plan in downtown Miami, so we can end up having what we hope will be our 22nd team … But there is a lot of work that still needs to happen.”
Major League Soccer currently has 19 teams. New York City FC will be No. 20, and Orlando City is set as No. 21, with both schedule to come on board in 2015.
Garber went on to say that Beckham, Fuller et al “cannot go into Miami without the right stadium solution, they know that, and that is an indisputable fact.” Likely translation: the lack of a site proposal and comprehensive facility plan is the big boulder in the way at the moment. In fairness, those never come together easily. Just ask D.C. United.
“We hope they are able to put together a plan that we can approve, because it’s a great opportunity,” the commissioner said.
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes