Dec 3, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
First the basics … this is how MLS players, club leadership, and media members voted for the league’s top 11 players in 2013:
- Goalkeeper – Donovan Ricketts (Portland Timbers)
- Defender – Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City)
- Defender – Jose Goncalves (New England Revolution)
- Defender – Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy)
- Midfielder – Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls)
- Midfielder – Will Johnson (Portland Timbers)
- Midfielder – Diego Valeri (Portland Timbers)
- Midfielder – Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
- Forward – Marco Di Vaio (Montreal Impact)
- Forward – Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy)
- Forward – Mike Magee (Chicago Fire)
The one who shouldn’t be there: Donovan Ricketts reminded us in 2013 that big, flashy, flying saves will get you a bunch of attention. And there were some jaw-dropping and praise-worthy moments. But the less glamorous stuff, the precise footwork, the business of not leaving rebounds in bad places, the providing of information to defenders … it’s all important, too. And for me, Ricketts wasn’t always good enough in these more mundane matters. Ricketts was a good goalkeeper in 2013 – but hardly the league’s best in my opinion.
(For the goalkeepers that we liked, see this link.)
And one more who looks a bit questionable: Omar Gonzalez had another good season for the Galaxy. But was it his best season? Hardly. And compared to how dominating he was after coming off injury in 2012, this one suffered by comparison. Perhaps it was the extra strain of international duty, or the distraction of ongoing contract negotiations … but Gonzalez dropped a short notch this go-round.
The math that doesn’t add up: THREE men from Portland Timbers? C’mon. There are 19 clubs, and THREE Timbers find their way to this team? If that’s the case, Portland should have won 24 or 25 games, right?
Johnson is deserving. Ricketts and Valeri … not necessarily.
A couple of snubs: We get reminded (sigh…once again) that holding midfielders are undervalued in MLS. No Osvaldo Alonso or Kyle Beckerman? Hmmmm. Will Johnson is the closest we get to a holding mid, even though he’s really more of a two-way man in Portland’s 4-3-3.
Nothing wrong with Graham Zusi, Diego Valeri or Tim Cahill – but their seasons weren’t any better than the ones had by Alonso (who made a very, very average Seattle defense look better than it really was with so much faithful soldiering as a midfield screener) or Beckerman.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:55 AM EDT
Milan’s failed to turn its season around, with Atlético has stabilized after a February swoon.
Mar 11, 2014, 3:47 AM EDT
Bayern’s lost twice in the last 12 months – once to Arsenal. The holders will look to avoid a repeat of last year’s visit.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
There’s also a freshness under Mastroeni, who oozes the respectability that comes from a distinguished career.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:54 PM EDT
The Black Cats have played three less matches than the Bluebirds and two less than the Baggies. A win over Palace would land them even with the Eagles.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
“What I said to the players is ‘get it out of your head. Go home, reflect a little bit and I will do my best to come up with something better.’”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
What to do with the goal-scoring 34-year-old Scot who’s out of contract in June?
Mar 10, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
“Kevin made a huge contribution to our qualification for the World Cup, he never let us down and now his dreams have died,” said Holland manager Louis van Gaal.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Like Manuel Pellegrini and his distaste for a certain Swedish official, Wenger is also critical of UEFA slotting in a referee from a non-footballing power.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
MLS has become a decent destination for goalkeepers, with top internationals for Peru, Brazil and Panama plying their trades in the United States this season.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Djalo, 27, hasn’t found his footing in Lisbon, playing in just three matches since then and spending parts of 2012 and 2013 on loan at Toulouse in Ligue 1, where he appeared 17 times.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Arsenal has been handed a boost for their massive Tuesday task of reversing Bayern Munich’s 2-0 advantage in the UEFA Champions League’s Round of 16.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“It’s like playing 1 1/2, 1 3/4 games in terms of damage to your body,” said Ryan Nelsen.
Mar 10, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
That is not a lousy public high-five for a player, now, is it?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
Timbers skipper staying put, as owner Paulson takes to Twitter to rejoice:
Mar 10, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Five teams dominate selections, find out if your favorites were rewarded:
Mar 10, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Barcelona have lost two of their last three La Liga matches, can City inflict more UCL heartache on the Catalan club?
Mar 10, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
Reds are in the red… but Champions League soccer could solve that and increase the club’s financial footing:
Mar 10, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
After Shea apparently ‘flipped the bird’ Barnsley end his loan deal from Stoke early:
Mar 10, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
USWNT lost two straight games, winless in three for the first time in 13 years:
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad