Dec 3, 2013, 12:08 PM EST
The allocation of pots for the FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Final Draw were determined today with the United States Men’s National Team placed into Pot Three.
Joining the US in the unseeded Pot Three are Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, Mexico, Costa Rica and Honduras.
While news of which pot the US were placed in comes as no surprise, it serves to confirm the Yanks’ chances of being drawn into a potential Group of Death as Pots One, Two and Four are stacked with talent (see all pots, below).
FIFA will hold the Final Draw this Friday in Bahia.
As expected, England has been placed in Pot Four, with eight other European sides for the draw in Brazil. Before Friday’s draw, however, one of those European teams will be moved to Pot Two. That European team will then be drawn against one of the four seeded South American teams (Brazil, Uruguay, Colombia, Argentina) to preserve the geographical balance of the draw. The three teams not drawn against the European team in Pot 2 will return to the main draw.
The Final Draw will be organized so that there will be no more than two European teams in any group of four countries.
Pot One: Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Uruguay
Pot Two: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ecuador
Pot Three: US, Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, Mexico, Costa Rica and Honduras
Pot Four: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0