Dec 4, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Sunderland striker Jozy Altidore was in dreamland after 11 minutes against Chelsea on Wednesday, as the U.S. international striker bagged his first Premier League goal for the Black Cats.
But soon after Frank Lampard drew Chelsea level with a perfectly-timed run that saw him head from close range.
Altidore’s goal was just his second PL goal all-time and came after Craig Gardner‘s free kick pin-balled around the box and found its way to U.S. international Atlidore who turned his man superbly before rifling home his first Premier League goal for Sunderland to put them 1-0 up.
However Lampard’s header made the scores level as Cesar Azpilicueta‘s terrific cross found the England international unmarked. Just before half time, Eden Hazard wandered in off the left flank and smashed a terrific effort into the bottom corner to put Chelsea 2-1 up.
Can the Black Cats fight back? Or will Chelsea extend their lead?
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 9 0
- Watch Live: Hull City vs. Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Five things to look out for in UEFA Champions League semifinals 1
- Newcastle United standing by Carver through final matches of relegation battle 0
- In defense of Chelsea: The best team won, and looked just fine doing it 0
- Top seven moments that defined Chelsea’s championship season 0