Dec 4, 2013, 7:39 AM EDT
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho’s way with words continues to inspire wicked grins with this beauty after Lukaku suggested he could stay with the Toffees even after his loan:
“Maybe there is a new rule in football where, when the season finishes, every player is free to decide his future. Maybe it’s a new rule.”
It’s another Mourinho gem, hot on the heels of his “I’d start Mata if I could start 12-14 players” quip last week. Lukaku made a weekend suggestion that it’s “not a bad idea” for him to stay at Goodison Park next season, but Mourinho is affirming that they want the loan star back for 2014/15.
Meanwhile, the Belgian striker’s fine form is attracting the interest of Tata Martino at Camp Nou, with Catalan newspaper Sport (non-English link) suggesting that Barcelona may be after him ahead of the 2014/15 season.
Lukaku’s eight goals in nine appearances are even more impressive than his 17 in 35 posted at West Bromwich Albion last season, and far surpass his production for Chelsea (0 in 10) and Belgium (5 in 24). He scored twice in the memorable Merseyside Derby and again versus Stoke a week later.
What will he do for an encore this evening in the David Moyes Reunion Show at Old Trafford? Apparently nothing that will keep him away from a return to Stamford Bridge.
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 2
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs
- The FIFA World Cup Trophy for the First Time in Sarajevo
- Despite Early Deficit, Revs Could've Climbed Back vs. Dynamo
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season