What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw

Dec 4, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT

FBL-WC2010-MATCH38-USA-ALG Getty Images

I’ll personally admit to a little consternation after reading the plethora of posts on the plight of the United States and their chances in a tough group. Aside from the dreaded Group of Death (or Pain, as Richard Farley prefers), fans of the Yanks need to get over their soccer inferiority complex. You’re the 14th ranked team by FIFA, nearly as close in points to the Top Five as falling out of the Top 25. You’re the team no one wants from Pot 3, so put on your adult pants and get excited. Heck, there’s a big part of me that wants England in the group again.

So, what would be the ideal way for the balls to fall if you’re a US Soccer supporter?

source:

POT 1:  I don’t want any part of the host nation nor a CONMEBOL team whose support will come streaming from a bordering nation currently in FIFA’s Top 10 and whose electric attacks bode poorly for a still unsettled and likely inexperienced US backline. Hope for a club as far away from home as possible. In order, hope for Switzerland, Belgium, Spain and Germany.

POT 2: With the added twist of the unknown! Earlier this week FIFA announced that it would be a random club from Pot 4, not France as UEFA’s lowest-ranked qualifier, that would join five African nations, Chile and Ecuador in Pot 2. My hope would be for Greece or England to pop into the group ahead of France, again due to defending concerns. In this instance, I’m hoping for Ecuador, Algeria or Cameroon, in that order.

POT 4: Oh, brother. There are nearly as many match-ups to rue here as there are in Pot 1. Portugal, Holland and Italy are the countries I’d rather avoid, with Bosnia-Herzegovina close behind (and for my money, a smart long-shot for the tournament).

So, while the nightmare draws have been dealt with at-length in this space (smartly, I might add, by our own Steve Davis), here’s what I’m hoping for come Friday, without doubling up on opponents for each successive scenario.

Number 1: Switzerland, Algeria, United States, Greece

Number 2: Colombia, Cameroon, United States, Croatia

Number 3: Belgium, Ecuador, United States, England

Agree? Disagree? Let’s have some fun here. Comment away!

1. mikeevergreen - Dec 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Bosnia is no smart long-shot for this torunament. We beat them in their own house.

• schmutzdeck - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM

That was a friendly. They gave up after the half.

2. footballkahuna - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Bosnia & Herzegovina’s group consisted of Greece, Slovakia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein and Latvia.

They played well and scored goals and it will be a subplot of World Cup 2014 to see if the UEFA qualifying Pot 3 nation can maintain its form against more formidable opposition.

3. greej1938l - Dec 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Anyone know if this will be televised in the US?

• wyrm1 - Dec 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM

It will be on ESPN2 at 11:30 Friday…

4. futbolhistorian - Dec 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Bosnia as a long shot for the tournament? What?!? Was that a serious comment?

5. greej1938l - Dec 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Thanks. I personally don’t want to see Chile, everything I’ve heard makes me think they will do well in Brazil

6. peiferinc - Dec 4, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Personally, I think that Belgium is on a hot streak. I’d much rather meet Uruguay than Belgium this year.

7. hildezero - Dec 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM

@wyrm1,

11:30? Damn. Thanks genius for not mentioning a.m. or p.m. or even m.t. or c.t.

• genebrooklyn - Dec 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Because we consider ourselves to be in the absolute center of the known universe, we easterners just always assume that any references to the time of any televised event refers to Eastern time (and this is from someone who grew up on Mountain Time—the unknown slot in the litany Eastern/Central/Pacific).

• schmutzdeck - Dec 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM

That’s because it is the center of the Universe.

• boscoesworld - Dec 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

A genius would probably be able to look it up themselves on this here computing device!!!

• danielofthedale - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:50 PM

First be a little more respectful. Second, use some common sense and you can figure it. I mean why would the World Cup draw take place at 11:30 at night?

• danielofthedale - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM

That was not meant for you @boscoeworld but he original commenter.

• jashton11 - Dec 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Of course, you could have just read the first paragraph of the blog post:

“Let’s not kid ourselves, Friday is one of the coolest days to be a soccer supporter. The World Cup draw (11 am ET) has made men pulling tiny pieces of paper out of little balls an intense event, and if any of us have the fortune of living to be 100, we’ll still only get to do this on a couple dozen occasions.”

• footballer4ever - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM

@jashton11

Such character just gets a kick out of finding errors and simply being a complicated individual to appease his lack of personality, confidence and intelligence. I pity him, so I’ve learned to understand why he’s the way he is..

8. footballer4ever - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Well oh well! Someone sure got put in his place and received a doses of his own medicine. Epic! nonetheless. ;)

9. hildezero - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM

A real genius would know how to type a sentence that makes sense, unlike you!

• footballer4ever - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM

(ROTFLMAO)

@ hildezero –

“Damn. You are ssooo sensitive. XD”

10. boscoesworld - Dec 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

The problem as I see it is, I am trying to act stupid and well you are just…….

• footballer4ever - Dec 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM

…..Epically Stupid. ;)

@ boscoeworld

I hope you do not mind me finishing your sentence, but that was necessary ;)

11. wasiulawal - Dec 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM

For the love of Soccer…can you please not refer to National teams as “clubs”?

• footballer4ever - Dec 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I concur with you. A National Football team should not be referred as club and it’s a “sin” to do so. :)

Week 34: Sunday Recap