Dec 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Marwin Hitz got stuck-in on Arjen Robben Wednesday night. Literally.
The Augsburg goalkeeper went studs-up on the Bayern Munich player’s knee during the European Champions 2-0 victory in the last 16 of the German Cup.
The collision occurred in the 13th minute, nine minutes after Robben netted the opening goal.
Hitz’ studs cut into Robben’s knee, requiring the Netherlands winger to be stretchered off the pitch where he will remain sidelined through mid-January. Hitz received a yellow card for the challenge.
“Robben has sustained a deep laceration extending into the knee joint,” Bayern doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt told the club’s website. “The impact of one of the studs on the thigh bone in the right leg has caused extensive hemorrhaging.”
The injury left Robben disappointed at having to miss his side’s Champions League clash with Manchester City. “Obviously I’m bitterly disappointed. I’ve been in such good form and really looking forward to every game with our team but now this has happened.
“However, I’ll return fully fit and rejoin the team as we pursue the targets we’ve set ourselves for the season.”
Robben has been on fire this season, scoring six goals in 12 Bundesliga matches and three in four Champions League appearances.
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 2
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 2