Dec 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Marwin Hitz got stuck-in on Arjen Robben Wednesday night. Literally.
The Augsburg goalkeeper went studs-up on the Bayern Munich player’s knee during the European Champions 2-0 victory in the last 16 of the German Cup.
The collision occurred in the 13th minute, nine minutes after Robben netted the opening goal.
Hitz’ studs cut into Robben’s knee, requiring the Netherlands winger to be stretchered off the pitch where he will remain sidelined through mid-January. Hitz received a yellow card for the challenge.
“Robben has sustained a deep laceration extending into the knee joint,” Bayern doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt told the club’s website. “The impact of one of the studs on the thigh bone in the right leg has caused extensive hemorrhaging.”
The injury left Robben disappointed at having to miss his side’s Champions League clash with Manchester City. “Obviously I’m bitterly disappointed. I’ve been in such good form and really looking forward to every game with our team but now this has happened.
“However, I’ll return fully fit and rejoin the team as we pursue the targets we’ve set ourselves for the season.”
Robben has been on fire this season, scoring six goals in 12 Bundesliga matches and three in four Champions League appearances.
- Chelsea confirms two-year AC Milan loan for striker Fernando Torres 5
- US men to face Honduras in October; USWNT name roster for Mexico 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 3 1
- Premier League Preview: Burnley vs. Manchester United 1
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2