Dec 5, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
Pele has turned down an opportunity to take part in Friday’s World Cup Draw for next summer’s tournament because he feared putting the hosts in a tough group.
Pele will be at the ceremony in Costa do Sauipe but he declined an invitation from Brazil’s president to help divide the 32 qualified nations into eight groups for next year’s tournament.
“President Dilma [Rousseff] suggested that I represent Brazil when it came to pulling the balls out of the pots, which I’ve done several times before,” Pele told the Daily Mail.
“I preferred to turn down the offer because I wouldn’t feel comfortable in picking out balls which are not favorable to Brazil.
“I will be there, God willing. I will give interviews, accompany the delegations from abroad and do what is necessary, representing President Dilma.”
Pele’s reluctance to help draw the balls stems from his reputation in Brazil as a ‘pe-fri’, or ‘cold foot’, although he was a bit touchy when asked about it.
“I won five world titles, two with Santos and three with the national team and I scored more than one thousand goals, so you’re right, I’m a cold foot,” he said.
Friday’s draw begins at 11:00am ET. Be sure to come by Pro Soccer Talk throughout the day for live updates, reactions and analysis.
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 1
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League