Dec 6, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
One team that could have not asked for a better World Cup draw is non other than two-time World Cup champion, Argentina. Being drawn into Group F with Bosnia, Iran, and Nigeria; the South Americans are already expected to have a place in the Round of 16 and even already in the quarterfinals since they would supposedly face Group E’ runners up.
The star power of Argentina lead by none other than Barcelona forward and four time FIFA Ballon D’Or winner Lionel Messi is unmatched by any of the three teams in Group F. Besides Messi, the Argentines will have Manchester City star Sergio “Kun” Agüero, Juventus’ Carlos Tévez, and Real Madrid’s Ángel Di María.
In the debate over whether Lionel Messi is already the best player the planet has ever seen, a lot of critics point that he has yet to win the most prestigious trophy. A World Cup on South American soil could be the biggest opportunity that Messi and his Argentine comrades have to winning their third world title, since the next editions of the tournament will take place in Russia and Qatar in 2018 and 2022 respectfully.
The momentum of a rather easy start for Argentina could be enough for them to pull off a huge upset on the home ground of their biggest rivals.
Here is Argentina’s Group F schedule:
June 15 Estadio do Maracaná, Rio De Janeiro. 16:00 Argentina vs Bosnia
June 21 Estadio Mineirao, Belo Horizonte. 10:00 Argentina vs Iran
June 25 Estadio Beira-Río, Porto Alegre. 10:00 Nigeria vs Argentina
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 0
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 13
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 9
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0