Dec 6, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
Speaking on Today FM, former Ireland international Mark Lawrenson suggested that Robin van Persie has asked Manchester United for a move out, via the Irish Mirror.
“There’s all sorts of rumours coming out of the training ground at the moment,” said Lawrenson. “One or two of the press boys that I know that cover Manchester United, they’re even saying that the big whisper is Van Persie might have asked for a transfer on Tuesday.”
Lawrenson has, since his retirement in 1990, worked for BBC and other media outlets, so he is sure to have some contacts at and around the club.
Van Persie famously made the switch from Arsenal to Manchester United two years ago, and led the Red Devils to the Premier League title last season.
This year, however, has been tumultuous for United and van Persie in particular, under new manager David Moyes.
The 30-year-old Dutch striker has seven Premier League goals to his name this year, including four in his last four matches. However, injuries have struck recently, keeping him out of United’s last four matches across all competitions since November 24.
He’s been held out of eight matches overall this year, with his groin the main culprit.
This rumor is just that…a rumor started by one man, and even if it’s true there’s no reason Manchester United would even entertain any offers for their talisman up front.
Either way, the relationship between van Persie and his club is certainly something to watch going forward. As Lawrenson put it, “If that happens, that’s going to be a mess for David Moyes.”
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad