Dec 6, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Everton defender Phil Jagielka, following their 1-0 win over Manchester United, had some choice words for his former manager struggling at Old Trafford.
Choice words of sorrow.
“I have a lot of time and a lot of respect for David Moyes,” said Jagielka. “I do feel sorry for him.”
Sorry that United are struggling? Sorry that his friend is having a tough go?
“The transfers in the summer, the people who were making those decisions didn’t help him out one bit.”
Oh. So apparently Phil Jagielka isn’t happy with how Manchester United dealt with the most recent transfer window.
On the surface it would appear that Jagielka is pouring out support for Moyes. Deeper down, you may remember Phil was rumored to be a transfer target of David Moyes, along with teammate Leighton Baines and former teammate Marouane Fellaini, who did end up at Old Trafford.
So Phil Jagielka was linked with Manchester United, didn’t end up at Old Trafford, and is now calling out the Manchester United front office for their failure in the transfer business?
Clearly nobody’s bitter here…
To be fair, Jagielka did offer his backing of David Moyes in the Scot’s current situation, which is dire.
“It is nowhere near a big problem but the pressure was always going to be high. From being at Everton, where the pressure was not so big initially, he could then grow into the season. You can’t grow into the season at Manchester United. You need to come out firing on all cylinders. He will come under pressure. But I am sure he knew that once he took the job.”
The defender also chatted about how he believes Moyes made the right move to swap Everton for United, because, “It was a fantastic opportunity for him.”
It’s also possible he thinks Moyes made the right decision, because he would have done the same given the opportunity. And it’s also possible Jagielka sorely wishes he’d have been given a similar opportunity.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3