Dec 7, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
KANSAS CITY — Round-by-round as Sporting Kansas City wins MLS Cup 2013 in a 10-round penalty kick tiebreaker.
(Check back for much, much more from Sporting Park in Kansas City.)
Sporting Kansas City: Claudio Bieler, fires very hard left, with no problem.
Real Salt Lake: Alvaro Saborio, approaches slowly and goes well high. 1-0 to Sporting KC after one round.
Sporting Kansas City: Paulo Nagamura, chips softly to the right, sending Rimando the wrong way.
Real Salt Lake: Ned Grabavoy stutter-steps up and shoots rather tamely to the left, Nielsen chooses correctly and parries. SKC has a 2-0 lead after two rounds.
Sporting Kansas City: Matt Besler, takes the tiniest of approaches and sees his shot to the right saved.
Real Salt Lake: Kyle Beckerman, sends Nielsen the wrong way and scores RSL’s first high and to the left. 3-1 for SKC after three rounds.
Sporting Kansas City: Benny Feilhaber shoots high and just to Rimando’s left.
Real Salt Lake: Joao Plata, the sub hits hard and high to the left, scoring comfortably.
Sporting Kansas City: Graham Zusi, approaches comfortably but pulls a “Saborio,” going high. Well, maybe not as high as Sabo, but high.
Real Salt Lake: Javier Morales, long run-up, then a slow approach … very coolly goes left as Nielsen goes the wrong way. Score tied 3-3 after five rounds,
Sporting Kansas City: Seth Sinovic, aims low and left and puts it in the right spot.
Real Salt Lake: Chris Schuler, First one to go straight down the middle! And it works. Score tied 4-4 after six rounds.
Sporting Kansas City: C.J. Sapong, not the very best spot shot ever, low and slow to the left, but successful.
Real Salt Lake: Tony Beltran, Oh! … Just off the inside of the post. 5-5 after seven rounds.
Sporting Kansas City: Lawrence Olum, sends Rimando the wrong way, but pushes his low shot wide to the left.
Real Salt Lake: Sebastien Velasquez, the youngster approaches tentatively and puts the ball into a diving Nielsen’s gut! Touch spot for him. Score tied 5-5 after eight rounds.
Sporting Kansas City: Chance Myers, his softly but high and the right, well placed.
Real Salt Lake: Nat Borchers, very hard and straight up the middle, the second RSL center back to do so. 6-6 after nine rounds.
Sporting Kansas City: Aurelien Collin, one of the best shots yet! High and left and unreachable.
Real Salt Lake: Lovel Palmer, blasts his shot off the cross bar. Kansas City wins the penalty kick tiebreaker, 7-6 after 10 rounds.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad